Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As part of my preparation for some new paint, I purchased some sample paint colours from PaintScratch (as they were able to ship to Aus).

The Larkspur Blue and Harbor Blue samples were great, but the '57 India Ivory was different than the '55-'56 India Ivory on the chart that I have ( I don't have '57 paint chips).

The paint technician emailed that he mixed India Ivory in the '57 formula.

So was India Ivory different for '57?

Geoff

·
Administrator
66,076 Posts
I thought it was the same but there was a formula change in the 57 paint from enamels to acrylic there may be a difference between the two

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was the same but there was a formula change in the 57 paint from enamels to acrylic there may be a difference between the two
Thanks, there's definitely a difference between the paint sample and the colour chip. The sample is not as white. The paint supplier reckons it's different.

Any US members care to comment?

Geoff

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Thanks, there's definitely a difference between the paint sample and the colour chip. The sample is not as white. The paint supplier reckons it's different.

Any US members care to comment?

Geoff
Well, if you insist...after all, I am a US member, and always seem to have a comment or two handy. :)

1955 India Ivory is Duco 2003 or Dulux 93-58458.
1956 India Ivory is Duco 2003 or Dulux 93-58458.
1957 India Ivory is Duco 2003 or Dulux 93-58458.

In other words - the India Ivory paint chemistry is nitrocellulose lacquer with the same formulation for all three years. There was no change in paint chemistry or part number.

1957 Imperial Ivory is Lucite, not Duco, as are several other 1957 colors. It is Lucite 2437-L or Dulux 93-59931. So - Imperial Ivory is acrylic lacquer, not nitrocellulose.

Imperial Ivory is definitely a "whiter white" than India Ivory. It's possible that he mixed Imperial Ivory by mistake.

Dulux is enamel, normally used on the wheels.

This data comes straight from my original DuPont paint charts for each year.

BTW - if your paint guy prefers PPG/Ditzler paint numbers - India Ivory is 8026 for all 3 years. Yes, I've got original PPG charts, too.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, if you insist...after all, I am a US member, and always seem to have a comment or two handy. :)

1955 India Ivory is Duco 2003 or Dulux 93-58458.
1956 India Ivory is Duco 2003 or Dulux 93-58458.
1957 India Ivory is Duco 2003 or Dulux 93-58458.

In other words - the India Ivory paint chemistry is nitrocellulose lacquer with the same formulation for all three years. There was no change in paint chemistry or part number.

1957 Imperial Ivory is Lucite, not Duco, as are several other 1957 colors. It is Lucite 2437-L or Dulux 93-59931. So - Imperial Ivory is acrylic lacquer, not nitrocellulose.

Imperial Ivory is definitely a "whiter white" than India Ivory. It's possible that he mixed Imperial Ivory by mistake.

Dulux is enamel, normally used on the wheels.

This data comes straight from my original DuPont paint charts for each year.

BTW - if your paint guy prefers PPG/Ditzler paint numbers - India Ivory is 8026 for all 3 years. Yes, I've got original PPG charts, too.
Thanks, so it looks like the actual colour should be the same for each year. The paint he mixed was not as white as my '56 paint chip of India Ivory.

Many thanks again! I'll get back to them.

Geoff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts