Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
RIP: 06-04-2012
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has offered to pay for my 56 150 wagon to be painted. I've tried every color combination that I like....two tones and solids. She has a thing for white cars, so her choice is one color and that's Indian Ivory. It's not a restored car, but I want to keep a period color on it and Danchuk say's that the 150's came one color Indian Ivory. I'm concerned that the color won't pop...and be ho hum. I am thinking of a little pin stripe to introduce a little color and possibly painting the rally wheels a contrasting color. The possiblity of changing the wheels to a set of American Torque Thrust D's or American has come out with Ansen Sprint's....for us old timers.

Any thoughts and/or comments are appreciated.

Wedwagon

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
I too like you would be concerned over the one color, especially white. It is your car but solid white on a tri-five just doesn`t do it for me. A pinstripe might help the look for sure.
Terry

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I, on the other hand, would avoid pinstriping because it might look too contrived. I think the india ivory all over will look fantastic. Wheels of a contrasting color might look nice, too.

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting more comfortable with a solid Indian Ivory car. Keeping the paint period is important to me, the other is the 150 wagon was a working man's car. Nothing fancy. And I try to keep the modifications in that context. If the rally wheels were painted a contrasting color what color would that be? I would like something like Sea Foam Green, Laurel Green, Gypsy Red....etc. Nothing that is too bold, I don't want it looking like a circus wagon. If it were pinstriped it would be a mild, little on the side but most on the hood and tailgate.

Wedwagon

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At a holiday party held at a local speed shop, I spoke to a fellow that developed colors for Dupont back in the 80's. He suggested that I take a picture of the car, make a bunch of copies and color the car with colored pencils. He say's he does that with every car he builds as restoration or to race at the drag strip. I think I might do that, the tough part will be staying inside the lines.

Wedwagon

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
According to the 'book' the wheels should be the same colour with a black stripe! That would look wishy washy!! What about red with thin whitewalls?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I like the red idea, but would vote for no white walls at all...I think that would give it a clean look. Also, the India Ivory isn't as white as the white walls so it might look funny.

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm not a white wall kind of guy, back in 1965 I bought a 57 Bel Air two door hard top and the first thing I did was change the wheel package to a chrome reverse wheel with baby moons and black tires.

I painted rally wheels black before and the features disappear. The color red has some merit, but what color of red? I sell fire trucks....let me tell you there are a boat load of red colors. What's funny in fire trucks there is only two colors of white.

One thing about it...if you are only painting wheels it won't cost a fortune if you don't get it right.

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right now the rally wheel is white with a hub cap and trim ring...I've run it with just the hub cap and like it either way. With a all white car that doesn't have a lot of chrome my gut says to put the trim rings on with hub caps.

Wedwagon

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Is there a Mrs. 55Mike..... Well, Mrs. Wedwagon is paying to paint the 56 and in New England that's in the neighborhood of $8K. And she wanted input, we started out with two tones...but couldn't come up with a combination that we both liked. The only two tone we could somewhat agree on was black with white on the top of the finders an hood. But, though my 56 has a pretty straight body, it's not black paint straight. She wanted Indian Ivory and I wanted paint on the car....so guess what? It's Indian Ivory. After loosing the color choice, I'm bound and determined that the 56 will have tasteful pin striping and painted rally wheels the colors of which will be my choice, and I'm going to do it before she has input...ha, ha, ha and say see it's all done. Brave aren't I.........

Wedwagon

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't think...it's been so long ago that this started, but Mrs. Wedwagon is paying for the paint job. In New England that is in the neighborhood of $8K. Mrs. Wedwagon wanted to have input on the color. Now back to the previous thread.

Wedwagon

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Oh Wedwagon.. I certainly understand. Back in the day, I was going to paint our 55 red.. and my wife said.."NO."
Then about this time she saw a turqouise and white 57.. and said "I like that" and there was no more discussion. Our car is not the exact same color as the 57 turqouise (Tropical), but rather is Regal Turqouse Metalic, which is a stock color for the 55. I'm sooo glad I went with her advice. Not only did she have a say regarding the car, but at the end of the day, I really to like the color combo.
55 Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts