Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed on some of the posts that some members are using S-10 rears in their tri-fives. Can anyone tell me what year S-10 would be a good swap with the least amount of modification for a '57? Difference in size, width, gear ratio, durability, etc. I have seen several S-10 rears on the local Craigslist. I have the stock 6 cyl rear end in my '57, and it is geared very low. Even with a TB350, it turns high RPMs on the highway at 65 MPH. I appreciate any info that anyone can give me....Bill

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
The S10 rear end has a very small ring gear and is very weak. I wouldn't install one in most anything.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a thread from Tri-fives transmission and drivelines section-
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53820
If you find one you like,let me know,I have 2,80's, S-10's and a lot of other cars and trucks that may work.
I have an 80 something Firebird rear that might work.
Cheap or free!
Mike.:bowtieb::)
Thanks Mike; so if I could find a '71-'74 Nova rear, I would not have to do much modification? Has anyone done this in the past? If so, what did you have to do to get it to work in a '57?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
FYI - The ring gear diameter in the late model S-10's (late 90's thru 03) is 8.5 and is actually the exact same rearend that was put in that same era Camaros. So it is very stout and can take alot of punishment..!! I have one in my 57 with a posi, huge 30" tall M/T radials (that have 10.5" tread on the road) and 390 ft lb torque at the rear wheels (mustang dyno numbers). I did add a $100 girdle plate on it for insurance since it is a 4.11 I don't baby it at all, in fact I have had trouble snapping off wheel studs from blasting on it a bit too often. ARP studs are going in it this winter. It has stood up to 15000+ miles in the last 2 summers and countless smokey holeshots..!

However, if you plan to mount drag radials and hit the dragstrip, I would go to the tried and true F**d 9 incher. The Z28 Camaros that came from the factory with that rearend would take alot, but eventually failed under repeated high torque racing conditions.

For daily "normal to harsh" street driving, the S-10 works great and the price is usually right.>!! Also, the spring perches are exactly where you need them for the popular spring pocket kit installation.

BTW....it is the 2 wheel drive pickup version, the suv's had a coil spring setup.

That is my experience and opinion.>!

Good Luck..! DK

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
FYI - The ring gear diameter in the late model S-10's (late 90's thru 03) is 8.5 and is actually the exact same rearend that was put in that same era Camaros. So it is very stout and can take alot of punishment..!! I have one in my 57 with a posi, huge 30" tall M/T radials (that have 10.5" tread on the road) and 390 ft lb torque at the rear wheels (mustang dyno numbers). I did add a $100 girdle plate on it for insurance since it is a 4.11 I don't baby it at all, in fact I have had trouble snapping off wheel studs from blasting on it a bit too often. ARP studs are going in it this winter. It has stood up to 15000+ miles in the last 2 summers and countless smokey holeshots..!

However, if you plan to mount drag radials and hit the dragstrip, I would go to the tried and true F**d 9 incher. The Z28 Camaros that came from the factory with that rearend would take alot, but eventually failed under repeated high torque racing conditions.

For daily "normal to harsh" street driving, the S-10 works great and the price is usually right.>!! Also, the spring perches are exactly where you need them for the popular spring pocket kit installation.

BTW....it is the 2 wheel drive pickup version, the suv's had a coil spring setup.

That is my experience and opinion.>!

Good Luck..! DK

Wrong, the omly 4dr my name has ever been in the titlle of is a 99 s10 4x4 and its a 7.5 or 7 5/8 ten bolt. Additionally they are different widths between 2wd & 4wd and my 88 & 99 Blazers both had leaf springs To get a 8.5 it has to be a ZR2. If a Z28 was equiped with a 350 available 87 up they use a rear built by Borg Warner that does not have c- clips.

As far as the overrated 9 inch goes the stock offerings for TRACTION LOCKS are weak. The guy on here that is a Moser axle dealer has posted pictures of broked carriers. If this thing is used in racing they use few if any stock Ford junk parts in it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Our 55 is going to be a driver, but not a hotrod with the big engine. but I am putting a rearend from an 03 blazer four door four wheel drive with the disc brakes. it is 59" wheel to wheel.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our 55 is going to be a driver, but not a hotrod with the big engine. but I am putting a rearend from an 03 blazer four door four wheel drive with the disc brakes. it is 59" wheel to wheel.
What is the width of a '57 rear end wheel to wheel? Thanks for the information....Bill

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
What is the width of a '57 rear end wheel to wheel?
Before you spend time and money on another rear end please realize the main problem with the factory rear end is the spider gears.
They seems to be the weakest link and when they break there is substantial damage that occurs.

If you are over 400 horsepower or so then change your rear end.
If you are under, just change to an Eaton posi unit.
Less time, less money, less headaches and great reliability.
That's my opinion.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGKavXQJl3HCB2zVz-jBm01w3gVxgq2nWHJGgqlNKEZd4molm7

·
Registered
20 Posts
S-10 measuments

So the stock rear end in a 56 chevy is 60", what is the width of the S-10? But the springs set inside the 56 frame.

What years of S-10 have disc brakes on the 4x4 ?

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Before you spend time and money on another rear end please realize the main problem with the factory rear end is the spider gears.
They seems to be the weakest link and when they break there is substantial damage that occurs.

If you are over 400 horsepower or so then change your rear end.
If you are under, just change to an Eaton posi unit.
Less time, less money, less headaches and great reliability.
That's my opinion.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGKavXQJl3HCB2zVz-jBm01w3gVxgq2nWHJGgqlNKEZd4molm7
Sounds like smart advise, if you were lucky enough to find a 8.5 s10 rear it would be a gov-lock and I have seen then break in stock trucks. I would not trust a 7.5 gov lock behind a 235 powerglide. I see it and hear it all the time, people call me looking for a cheap way out when it comes to building a rear axle.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I gotta agree with Bihili on this one. It would probably be a lot less work and probably less money to switch to an Eaton Posi unit with new gears. The factory rear end can hold up to some real abuse. They used it in Corvettes, Tri-fives, Impala's and other cars, some of which had high horsepower 409's. Drag racers used them back then and beat on them regularly. If you aren't making major horsepower, or drag racing it, I'd use the factory 10 bolt. JMO

:anim_25:

J

:bowtieb:

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I have been told by several that the 4x4 s10 rear is the way to go as opposed to the 2 wheel rear end for a slightly wider tire and less fabrication for spring perches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts