Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To Rick L:

Below is verbiage from you on a post awhile ago, you describe fitment of these panels, etc.

Trunk corners (doglegs) are not made so well and don't fit worth a ****. That goes for both the exterior and interior ones. I cut mine into pieces and welded them back together on the car to get them to fit better.

As for alignment, the parts are mostly self locating, except perhaps where the brace ends weld to the quarter panels. I think the best alignment tool/method is to put the body mounts and the bumper on and get a good fit between it and the quarter panel. The bumper bolts to the frame and the rest to the body so when you get the tail pan brace correct on the quarter panel, the bumper fits it too.

Question, what exactly are you referring to when you describe (doglegs). I'm guessing these are the drops in back lower trunk patch panels. Or are you referring to the inside panels that mate and form the tailights to the inside. I'm I close?

If so what are we cutting on both exterior/interior...and why are we cutting them into pieces?

Additionally, why is the tail pan brace a mystery where it locates to the outer qtr. panel?

You see I'm currently in the midst of all of this on my 55 hdtp and I want it RIGHT....

·
Registered
37,987 Posts
What I am calling the "doglegs" are the pieces that form the lower corners of the trunk lid cutout. These are external pieces, one goes on either side of the tailpan. There are also "internal doglegs" that go in the same area on the inside of the trunk. If anything, those are worse, but of course it's hard to see them so you can get by.

The US made pieces that have been on the market for years just don't quite match the shape of the originals. But you can cut them in pieces or make pie cuts and weld them back together to make them fit and look right. If you had some in your hand and held them up to the area where they are to be installed, it would be clearer as to what the problems and cures are.

Having said all that, Darrin55 has used the Gold Star (imported) pieces that just became available, and he didn't have those kind of problems.

On the tail pan brace, there's no body line or dimple or anything like that to guide you as to where it goes on the quarters. It is self locating everywhere else. If you have a lot of rust damage in the trunk area (walls especially), the quarter panels may be drooped relative to the trunk floor and tail pan brace because the brace and related parts have little structure left. If the rust damage isn't too bad, then no droop. The best way to know where you stand on this is to do a test fit of the bumper and rear body mounts before you weld everything. I put the rear trunk floor, tail pan brace, and tail pan in with sheet metal screws and checked alignment of all those parts and the ones they attach to before making a single weld.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Rick,

I just emailed Darrin55 regarding the (doglegs). I haven't purchased the (2) exterior panels yet and I was hoping I could put my hands on the EPD coated Taiwan replacements as opposed to the USA crude stampings.

I did purchase the lower trunk corner/s patch panels from resto-world and like their lower outer rear quarters I received....they're poor quality stampings at best.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
What I am calling the "doglegs" are the pieces that form the lower corners of the trunk lid cutout. These are external pieces, one goes on either side of the tailpan. There are also "internal doglegs" that go in the same area on the inside of the trunk. If anything, those are worse, but of course it's hard to see them so you can get by.

The US made pieces that have been on the market for years just don't quite match the shape of the originals. But you can cut them in pieces or make pie cuts and weld them back together to make them fit and look right. If you had some in your hand and held them up to the area where they are to be installed, it would be clearer as to what the problems and cures are.

Having said all that, Darrin55 has used the Gold Star (imported) pieces that just became available, and he didn't have those kind of problems.

On the tail pan brace, there's no body line or dimple or anything like that to guide you as to where it goes on the quarters. It is self locating everywhere else. If you have a lot of rust damage in the trunk area (walls especially), the quarter panels may be drooped relative to the trunk floor and tail pan brace because the brace and related parts have little structure left. If the rust damage isn't too bad, then no droop. The best way to know where you stand on this is to do a test fit of the bumper and rear body mounts before you weld everything. I put the rear trunk floor, tail pan brace, and tail pan in with sheet metal screws and checked alignment of all those parts and the ones they attach to before making a single weld.
The inner pieces are really so bad that it's nearly better to just make your own out of sheetmetal. It's a crime really.

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Check out 57rustbucket.com. He documented this area real well with pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts