Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have checked out this page:
http://www.dmv.com/tx/texas/custom-vehicle-registration

I live in texas and I have been working on my car getting it drivable now that it is drivable I need a few things. I know alot of states are differant but if you live in Texas please help:)

I plane on using it as a daily driver so if you have a tri-five as a daily what insurance do you use? Need I say I just need to have it legal to drive.

As far as registering go's I just have bill of sale so I guess I need to get a title.......not sure.

Any help would be great!

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
If you plan to drive it as a daily driver none of the classic insures will insure it for that mode of driving that i know of. As far as the Bill-of-sale i was told that they are not even worth the paper they are written on in the state of Texas.
Terry

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Send Larry48 a pm. He may be able to give you some guideance on this!. At least as far as insurance goes

68,758 Posts
might want to touch base with your local dmv. i insure all mine with my local insurance company (state farm). ask your local agent about insurance. all states are not the same. :anim_25:

·
Registered
483 Posts
You will need to apply for a title - if you don't have the existing paper - you will need an affidavit as to how you aquired and who had last title. This is done at your local courthouse.

Insurance - i recomend stated value - even though a couple dollars more - you WILL get screwed if you get any damage without it - they will use NADA value, total it and give you 500 bucks for it.

Where is crystal springs? I could not find it on a map for refferal...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will need to apply for a title - if you don't have the existing paper - you will need an affidavit as to how you aquired and who had last title. This is done at your local courthouse.

Insurance - i recomend stated value - even though a couple dollars more - you WILL get screwed if you get any damage without it - they will use NADA value, total it and give you 500 bucks for it.

Where is crystal springs? I could not find it on a map for refferal...
Well John Im in Mississippi right now with the car but plan on moving back to Texas soon. I have been talking to the TxDOT and have some forms.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
INSURANCE / Bill of Sale

If you plan to drive it as a daily driver none of the classic insures will insure it for that mode of driving that i know of. As far as the Bill-of-sale i was told that they are not even worth the paper they are written on in the state of Texas.
Terry
Hey Terry, you are correct about the daily driver insurance. I gave him some info when he sent me a pm. The bill of sale is not always worthless, I also write the Surety Bonds when somebody is going to get a Bonded Title and I use that (bill of sale) as part of the documentation when doing the Surety Bond application.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Get MS title

MS did not become a title state until around 1970. You will be way ahead of the game if you go ahead and get a MS title then transfer to Texas title.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
INSURANCE / Bill of Sale

MS did not become a title state until around 1970. You will be way ahead of the game if you go ahead and get a MS title then transfer to Texas title.
That would probably be quicker & cheaper than having to get a Bonded Title in Texas.

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
The bill of sale is not worthless. But it won't stand alone.

To be legal, all you have to have is liability insurance. It won't pay for your car if you have a wreck and it's your fault. Anything more than that is financial protection for you if your car is damaged.

To get the car registered, you'll have to have liability insurance. You'll also have to have an inspection sticker on a daily driver. And you have to have insurance to get an inspection sticker. It's kind of a "chicken and egg" situation when you don't have a title. Larry may be able to help you with the correct sequence on that. I think you may need to apply for the title, then get insurance, and go back and register.

The other deal is engine number vs. the VIN number on the body if it's a 55 in Texas, but that probably doesn't apply to you.

Last thing, since you live in Mississippi now, you may find it easier to go ahead and get a title and registration there. Or even just a registration if they don't require a title. You may be throwing away part of a registration fee, but it may be worth it in terms of the hassle.

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
The bill of sale is not worthless.
That is not what i was told when trying to get a title on one of mine with only a "Bill Of Sale", unless it runs and can be inspected, then it is a different situation.
Terry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts