Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are people handling the inside of the rear fender? I am starting to strip the undercoating and fixing my floors. I have noticed that there is some undercoating in the area with the fuel pipe from the quarter panel.

Does any have any images of how they finished this space?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've had my 57 torn way down for rust repair and mimi-tubs.So,I scraped (lot of scraping!)the undercoating off,washed it down with thinner,sand-blasted,then painted with several coats of epoxy primer.

Did you paint it white? or is that the primer? Should it be red oxide and then undercoated with black ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Should it be? What do you mean? It can be any color you want it to be. Unless this is a 110% resto with aspirations of a 100 point score at Pebble Beach it really doesn't matter what color it is.
Mark
Should it be? Means "what was the color when it was built"? I thought it was self explanatory. If you dont know the answer, why reply? As I want to keep it as original as I can, it was just a question. I figured if he scraped it all off, he could tell be what color he had scraped off. I couldn't care less about Pebble Beach.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Mine is not going to be a show car.
The white is actually a beige color epoxy primer.I brushed it on. I can't spray inside my shop because I have several other cars in here too.
Originally the inside was primed with red oxide from the factory,but as I scraped off all the old undercoating,I found areas of surface rust,so I sandblasted it and prined it.At some point I will paint it.
You can see the original primer and some of the rust in this pic-

Mike.:):bowtieb:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Should it be? Means "what was the color when it was built"? I thought it was self explanatory. If you dont know the answer, why reply? As I want to keep it as original as I can, it was just a question. I figured if he scraped it all off, he could tell be what color he had scraped off. I couldn't care less about Pebble Beach.
It doesn't matter what color the inner fenders are unless you are building a 100% correct stock show car. That's all I was trying to say to the OP. He can paint them green with orange polka dots if that is what he likes...
He doesn't HAVE to match the red oxide if he doesn't want to. If that is your choice fine, you do what YOU need to do, that doesn't mean everyone else has to follow suit.
To the OP, it's your car, do whatever works and gets the job done for you. It really doesn't matter.
Mark

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine is not going to be a show car.
The white is actually a beige color epoxy primer.I brushed it on. I can't spray inside my shop because I have several other cars in here too.
Originally the inside was primed with red oxide from the factory,but as I scraped off all the old undercoating,I found areas of surface rust,so I sandblasted it and prined it.At some point I will paint it.
You can see the original primer and some of the rust in this pic-

Very good. I had just ASSUMED it was red oxide, now I KNOW it was. I may be doing the same thing soon. Thank You, Ted

·
Registered
543 Posts
How are people handling the inside of the rear fender? I am starting to strip the undercoating and fixing my floors. I have noticed that there is some undercoating in the area with the fuel pipe from the quarter panel.

Does any have any images of how they finished this space?
I hit mine with a high presure washer. It will come off. Was this undercoat a factoy job?? Everyone seems to have it

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
I hit mine with a high presure washer. It will come off. Was this undercoat a factoy job?? Everyone seems to have it
I agree. I've easily removed old, brittle undercoating with my 3,000 psi pressure washer. Use a narrow angle tip, and hold close at an angle, and it will cleanly remove it. MUCH faster and easier than hours with a torch and a scraper!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.