Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice on how to install wind lace in the kick panel/wind lace metal retainer where it will stay put. This is the retainer that holds the kick panel and the wind lace below the dash end clips. Car is a 57 Chev. BelAir 4 door hardtop.
Wind lace is black foam filled with exposed tab behind windlace and full length of wind lace.
Thanks,
Tex Chev

68,758 Posts
hi tex. try the search option above. might find something that way. :anim_25:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A Pillar Windlace

Terry, it does a flap sewn into it. Guess the flap is about 1/2 inch in width and runs the length of the wind lace.

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
A cord or rib for the kick panel retainer area works best. It is hard to get the windlace pulled down through it. Some say to open the gap up but it is very stiff and then you would have to hammer it back shut, leaving it scared and scratched up. I like to use the .095 weed trimmer cord sewn into it and then you can pull the windlace into the retainer.
Terry

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just did mine at the upholstery shop and he sewed a plastic rib into it that stuck out about 1/2" from fabric. It slid perfect into the channel.

It's basically a 1" or so wide plastic strip with the rib along the length of it. He originally sewed it into the windlace with the rib too close to the fabric and the fabric tore trying to force it into the channel.

He re-did it and the 1/2" spacing was the trick. Be sure and leave 6" or so at the floor to tuck under the sill plate and several inches at the top to go under the pillar trim.

Watch out when removing/installing the pillar trim! Collateral damage can occur. Don't ask me why I know! :rolleyes:

Dang it!! :motz:

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
He re-did it and the 1/2" spacing was the trick.
If you leave it 1/2" from the roll it will leave it floppy. I had mine as close to the foam roll as possible and it went in fine.About 1/4" or less.
Terry

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you leave it 1/2" from the roll it will leave it floppy. I had mine as close to the foam roll as possible and it went in fine.About 1/4" or less.
Terry
Check that. I think it was 1/4". Are those plastic strips with the rib 1/2" total width? It was basically the middle of the strip.

I wouldn't call mine floppy but it's definitely not at tight as yours looks. Yours looks nice.

For what it's worth, the guy at the upholstery shop said their machine wouldn't go up against the roll as tight as I was asking and would've liked.

The fabric runs right to the mid point and it fits snug. I originally had him sew right up to the rib and there was no way the fabric was sliding into the channel and the rib didn't have enough space without pulling the fabric in the channel.

I'm happy with how it came out. The only thing would be him having sewed it a little closer to the roll to snug up shape around the rib.

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
On mine i sewed it within 1/8" of the foam. Then the cord for the retainer is next to that stitch.
I originally had him sew right up to the rib and there was no way the fabric was sliding into the channel and the rib didn't have enough space without pulling the fabric in the channel.
The material should be in the channel.
Terry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Install Windlace A Pillar

Guys, thanks for comments! I think what I'll do is, prior to painting the retainer, squeeze the retainer edges to where it is tight on the wind lace tab but still allow the wind lance to be pulled through the channel. Then paint and install. Noticed on another post where someone had used glue in the channel to hold the tab and keep the wind lace tight in the retainer. Also appreciate the tip for leaving the 6 inches or so at the bottom.
Again, thanks and regards,
Tex Chev

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
You shouldn`t have to squeeze the retainer to get it tight. It has a gap in it from the factory. If you squeeze it together you can forget pulling the windlace through it.
Terry

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I had an upholsterer sew my weed whacker cord in. My retainer was spread a bit from getting the old stuff out. I bead blasted and epoxied the retainers. Installed the new windlace by forcing it into the groove, then slightly pinching it tighter. No sliding. It was positioned where I wanted it to be. I then taped the windlace good and painted them. They worked better than I would've guessed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts