Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've posted a plethora of pictures of my car on this forum. I get asked often about how my car is lowered etc.. For years I used the original old springs with 2" blocks and SSM bars. It looked great but rode very stiff. I never really liked the blocks either. So, I decided to change up the rear suspension and I ordered some "2 1/2-3" " dropped rear springs from Cliff's Classic Chevrolet (one of our sponsors). I also bought his traction bars so the ride wouldn't be so rigid. I can say, the car sits within 1/2" of where it was before, but now it rides great. I did a little "line lock" stress-test this evening and the bars seem to work OK too. So, if any of you are using 2" blocks, you might consider doing the lowered springs. I believe the upgrade was well worth it.

·
Registered
66,287 Posts
beautiful look mike. you did good. :five:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Nice stance Mike:tu I have new (3 years ago) 4 leaf with 2 inch blocks and air shocks on mine but not 100% happy with the ride... I might concider what you did... Later, Dave

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
again, teriffic car you have there! i looked up cliff`s. i would like your opinion on the traction bars ya bought from him. do you like these better than the SSM`s ? i realize the car MUST ride better. thanx.

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
Hoss, the stance looks great and the color combo is fantastic. If it rides like it looks then you are floating on the clouds.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
again, teriffic car you have there! i looked up cliff`s. i would like your opinion on the traction bars ya bought from him. do you like these better than the SSM`s ? i realize the car MUST ride better. thanx.
Cliff's bars are McGaughy's.. which are commonly sold by most of the parts vendors. I had similar bars (but not the same) in the past and they didn't work too well. I hope these do better.. Being the tight-wad that I am, I didn't spring (no pun intended :)) for the CalTracs that I know are the best out there. So, to answer your question, are they better than SSM's? Well.. they certainly ride much better! On the other hand there is a bit more body roll (yes, I do have a front sway bar), and I doubt they will really plant the tires like SSM's or CalTracs. I haven't had them on the drag strip yet either. For an initial test, last night I got out on a country road over a nice new concrete bridge, and I locked up the front brakes with my trusty Hurst Roll Control and did a very nice smoooookey burnout. Felt pretty good.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey Mike,
I like the way it sits!! :happy0030: I may have asked you this before but what size wheels and tires are you running and what is the back spacing?? I noticed the deep dish on the rear do you have a stock rear end?:confused0006:
TV

55chevy 012 - Copy.jpg
55 210 - bought 35 years ago

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Mike,
I like the way it sits!! :happy0030: I may have asked you this before but what size wheels and tires are you running and what is the back spacing?? I noticed the deep dish on the rear do you have a stock rear end?:confused0006:
TV

View attachment 27148
55 210 - bought 35 years ago
The rear tires are BF Goodrich Radial T/A's, 255/60/15"s on Cragar Street Star 15X8" "reverse" rims (factory built not custom offset). The back spacing is 3 1/2". No the rear axle is a not original. It's a 9" F**d, that is 58" from mounting flange to mounting flange.. about 2" narrower than the 60" stock trifive rear. I don't think you would be able to put these tires/rims on a stock set up. The fit is VERY tight on mine, but I really like the deep-dish look. Below is a rear-view picture taken a few years ago down in Ocean Springs MS during "Cruising the Coast"

·
Registered
283 Posts
The rear tires are BF Goodrich Radial T/A's, 255/60/15"s on Cragar Street Star 15X8" "reverse" rims (factory built not custom offset). The back spacing is 3 1/2". No the rear axle is a not original. It's a 9" F**d, that is 58" from mounting flange to mounting flange.. about 2" narrower than the 60" stock trifive rear. I don't think you would be able to put these tires/rims on a stock set up. The fit is VERY tight on mine, but I really like the deep-dish look. Below is a rear-view picture taken a few years ago down in Ocean Springs MS during "Cruising the Coast"

You didn't mention the front wheels and tires?
What do you have to lower the front? Dropped spindles and lowering springs?
The reason I'm asking because I'm in the process of lowering my 55 with 2" dropped spindles and I may need to cut a coil to get the look I want. I was thinking about going to 17" wheels and tires but I like the way yours looks with 15".
Thanks. :tu
TV

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Yes! Looks even better now with little bit extra lowering in the back. My understand of traction bars was they stiffen up the ride though, not smooth it out?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Mike your my hero,
As always thanks for sharing you info. She looks good and sits right we need a photo of the burnout. Enjoy the ride.:congrats:

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You didn't mention the front wheels and tires?
What do you have to lower the front? Dropped spindles and lowering springs?
The reason I'm asking because I'm in the process of lowering my 55 with 2" dropped spindles and I may need to cut a coil to get the look I want. I was thinking about going to 17" wheels and tires but I like the way yours looks with 15".
Thanks. :tu
TV
I lowered the front end with Heidt's 2" dropped spindles and 1" lower front springs. The front tires are BF Goodrich T/A's 215/65/15" on 15X7 wheels, standard offset. Like you, I really like the look of 17"s on these cars. More than once I almost went with them..but... at the end of the day, the 15"s while not quite the current trend, certainly fit the bill for me, and I don't think the car will ever look "dated." Here is a picture of the front..

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mike your my hero,
As always thanks for sharing you info. She looks good and sits right we need a photo of the burnout. Enjoy the ride.:congrats:
How about an older picture???.... :eek::eek::eek:
This shot was taken several years ago. I've actually lowered the car a bit more since...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts