Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally dove in and put throttle body fuel injection on the car controlled by a megasquirt 2 ecm last week . Spent the last few days tuning it and I have it running much more smoothly than the carb setup ever did.
No more problems with degrading idle quality during extended idling due to fuel boiling. and the intermittant accelleration bog the carb had. I've also
set it up to control the electric cooling fans its much more precise than the temp switch. I can tell it what temp to switch on/off and can specify to turn off the fans above a specified engine rpm so they arent running at highway speeds.
I'll be taking a 1000 mile trip in the next few weeks and will see what mpg its getting.

Regards, Robert

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yea, please keep us up to date. I have a Holley Pro Jection set up laying here I want to use on something, prolly my vette, since the '55 has tri power :)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of people that had the holley projection units especially the old one that had the analog fuel control unit ( the one with the dials to adjust it)
have switched over using the MS unit since they had all the hardware bits and just had to wire it up In fact if you have or buy a used setup it it would make for a good start on converting.

The pro's of the ms ecu , are its flexability , it can do just fuel or spark control only to full sequential multiport with coil on plug ignition and 4l80e/4l60e transmission control, knock sensing and flex fueling.

Its pricing is also modular and at the entry level its not unreasonable compared to other aftermarket ecu's
Tuning software is free and there are some ports to couple of different operating systems and computer hardware platforms
The source code for the unit is open source.

The cons are that it requires you learn a lot about how fuel injection and the sensors all work.
The only problem I've had is getting a clean tach signal off the coil , however if I had say a msd unit or a hei with dedicated tach lead or used a trigger wheel that wouldnt be a issue but there are several modifications to address the problem.

Regards, Robert

68,758 Posts
thanks for info robert. :five: ................have a safe trip too. :tu

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Got back from the Lone Star loop 1000 mile trip, The fuel injection worked well I did some fine tuning to the a/f ratios I estimate about 17 mpg
as my speedo decided to kick the bucket the first day.
The carb setup was giving about 14 mpg highway so I was well pleased with
the results, I hope to hit 20-22 mpg once I get a overdrive transmission.

The rest of the cruise went pretty well except I had a brake line crack and had to replace it and a tire developed a bulge so I didnt wait for it to blow out and got it replaced. My brother's 55 had a outer front wheel bearing fail and it welded the race to the spindle. We tried a slide hammer to get the rotor off but it would not budge.

A real nice local guy was checking out the cars in the hotel parking lot and
saw us and several of the other guys working on it and offered the use of his shop and tools he had a 60 ton press and even it wouldnt push the spindle out till we heated the race to a cherry red and even then all it did was push it through the remains of the old bearings.
We ended up using a cutting torch to split the race and get it off, and while we were away another guy came by and said he had a spare spindle we could have, the next morning he showed up and gave it to my brother and refused to take any money for it !. We went ahead and put the old spindle back on after several of the helpful cruise members dressed the threads on the end. And since it was not galled too badly and still had the caliper backets on it. He will swap it out at home.

The last day, Sunday was trouble free for us but a guy with a 40 ford ran over a truck tire tread carcass and it shoved his aluminum radiator into the fan and the fan bolts chewed out about 5 tubes in the center. We helped him get it out and then we cleaned out the fins and cut back the damaged tubes , filled the ends of the tubes with Jb weld epoxy and folded and crimped the tube ends over and globbed more Jb weld over the ends. It didnt leak and the guy drove it home well over 300 miles from east Texas to Corpus Christi with the A/C on !.

Regards, Robert

·
Registered
175 Posts
I run ms2/extra 2.1.0q on my 400whp 4 banger, megasquirt can certainly be tricky to set up. But once done so, the possibilties are endless. You can do anything that any other stand alone can do with megasquirt, its just matter if you have the time or knowledge on how to get there.

I'll be going to ms3 next year, sequential fuel injection :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts