Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, completed the installation of the 700R4 tranny in my gasser this a.m. With that trans. jack and lift, it went very nicely. I put about 11-12 qts. of trans. fluid in it and let it warm up. This trans. hasn't been used since 1992and supposedly has about 50 miles on it. After letting it warm up, I went for a ride. It shifted from gear to gear but I think it was a little sloppy. They weren't abrupt shifts. It also shifted into OD fine. I just finished reading some present threads about the mph that some of these 700R4's shift at and I will pay close attention on my next ride.

I've also read alot of threads about adjusting the tv cable. I certainly want it done properly. I have the bracket for the cable attached to my carb. and I believe the bracket and cable are both from the same manufacturer. It is my understanding and simply put, that when adjusting the tv cable, the carb. should be in wot position and the cable pulled taunt from the casing/trans. You then secure and attach the cable to to the supplied pin on the lower carb. linkage. When the throttle is released to idle, there should be a just a hair slack in the cable. Not as taunt like it was at wot. This is how mine is setup. If this is wrong and could be better, please correct me. As mentioned in some threads, I don't need a burned up tranny. Thank you, Carmine.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If you have the proper bracket for your setup/carb, it should be pretty straight forward. If you do not, it is a little more complicated. There is some geometry involved in the placement of the cable attaching point relative to the main shaft of the carb. What ends up happening is the cable is pulled out at different rates based on the amount of throttle given. It is not a smooth equal pull throughout. You still need to make sure you are starting with the plunger in the trans in the right position to be sure. A pretty decent article by B&M with a diagram is here>>>

http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploads/117101.pdf

Another thing to do is check the application pressures by hooking a gauge to the left side of the trans. There is a 1/8 pipe plug up above the shifter. Look at this site>>> http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php for help with all the setup procedures. Be meticulous in the beginning and it will last and make you happy.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Get a 300 psi pressure gage

That procedure is correct for adjusting a factory cable in an OEM application. It works fine for conversions if the cable mount and pivot geometry are exactly right. A very good way to be sure that you are OK on TV pressure is to get a 0-300 PSI pressure gage like this one from McMaster:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#2201T41

It is only about $22, and you can hook it up temporarily with an oil pressure gage install kit from Autozone, the ones that use copper line. You want to be sure that your TV pressure rises as soon as you just brush the throttle. If the TV pressure is not climbing as soon as you start to accelerate, that is when low line pressure will caused burned up friction elements, i.e. clutches and bands.

Driver.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have the proper bracket for your setup/carb, it should be pretty straight forward. If you do not, it is a little more complicated. There is some geometry involved in the placement of the cable attaching point relative to the main shaft of the carb. What ends up happening is the cable is pulled out at different rates based on the amount of throttle given. It is not a smooth equal pull throughout. You still need to make sure you are starting with the plunger in the trans in the right position to be sure. A pretty decent article by B&M with a diagram is here>>>

http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploads/117101.pdf

Another thing to do is check the application pressures by hooking a gauge to the left side of the trans. There is a 1/8 pipe plug up above the shifter. Look at this site>>> http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php for help with all the setup procedures. Be meticulous in the beginning and it will last and make you happy.
I think I have it hooked up right. I have the bracket that attaches to the carb. base that holds the tv cable and with it came an arm that attaches specifically to the Edelbrock throttle linkage. I believe this gives the cable the correct geometry. I just think the shifts were a little soft but I'm going to give it more time because of its history. Funny thing, I just read a bunch more of articles on how to adjust the tv cable. One guy mentioned to test it by slamming the pedal to the floor in 2nd gear to see if it downshifts to first. Hmmm........Another mentioned that not only should the cable be taunt at wot, but when relaxed at idle, there should be about 3/8"-1/2" slack in the cable. Gets more confusing as time goes on. Think I'll give it a rest for now.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
The one thing that I was told was to make sure that you WOT at the pedal! Don't just pull the cable at the carb. Check and have someone floor the pedal and make sure there is no play in the throttle cable. Then, your TV cable will adjust correctly.

BowTie Overdrives and a few others have stressed that about the TV cable...of course, BowTie Overdrives is not on my favorite vendor list, right now. I am having my BTO 700r4 being rebuilt as I type...and not by BTO! Tranny started to slip and finding out that BTO got real creative in building my transmission.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
14,040 Posts
In stock form the 700r4 has a soft shift . this can be improved with a corvette shift servo and can be done in the car most times. it is located on the right/pass side of the trans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts