Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I was given a 605 box set up for a trifive.
It was the box only so I am trying to source some parts local.
Does anyone know where I can get the bracket or a template to make my own so I can mount the box to the car?

Also what is a good pump to use something off of a 78 Chevy Malibu or corvette I am looking to source it locally. I already have the pump bracket.

Hoses and steering column are not an issue.

Thank you
Brian

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
If the box is already set up it should bolt right up to the frame using the existing 3 holes that the stock box used. However, given all the problems and leaks from the 605 box, if you are going to have power steering I would just get a CPP500 box and be done with it.

Just installed one myself and wished I did it years ago, as for the pump you can do a search on this topic and you will find what others have used for the pump. I bought mine as a kit so I don't know hwat it is from. Good luck,

·
Registered
265 Posts
The 605 will not bolt directly to the Frame . The Bottom part of the 55 box will bolt up to Original holes but the Top part of the 605 box will need a plate that bolts to the side of the frame then to the 605 box. The plate is Usually 3/8 of an inch Thick with a Notch in the side to clear the edge of the Frame.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,430 Posts
The 605 will not bolt directly to the Frame . The Bottom part of the 55 box will bolt up to Original holes but the Top part of the 605 box will need a plate that bolts to the side of the frame then to the 605 box. The plate is Usually 3/8 of an inch Thick with a Notch in the side to clear the edge of the Frame.
Old 605 Power Steering conversion for the tri-five Chevy's article: http://www.carnut.com/specs/steering/pwr605.html

Completed 605 below. Note the bracket. welded to the top of the frame. This stabilizes the 605 on the frame. Also the grease fitting in the pillar block

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Well I have a 605 box setting in my shop that BOLTS directly to the frame. Does not need any adapter plate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info
Does anyone happen to have a template of the bracket?
If not I will just pick this one up.

Someone is giving me the box they pulled out of his car that is the only reason I am doing this now.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Hello
Does that mean it's the same length as a stock box from the centerline of the worm shaft (where the steering shaft connects) to the bottom of the sector shaft? And that the sector shaft will accept a 55-57 Pitman arm? Sounds like a very old modification if the bracket is not integral to the box. The newer versions (circa 2004) looked like this:

The modified 605 is really an outdated solution, and works nowhere near as well as a CPP500 or Delphi 600 box. I speak from experience, having owned not one, but two 605 boxes. Very scary at speed.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
on 605 boxes

Hello
It was the box only so I am trying to source some parts local.
Does anyone know where I can get the bracket or a template to make my own so I can mount the box to the car?

Also what is a good pump to use something off of a 78 Chevy Malibu or corvette I am looking to source it locally. I already have the pump bracket.

Hoses and steering column are not an issue.

Thank you
Brian
Who ever gave you that box did you no favor. You will never be happy with that box because you are thinking it is a great box and you will discover its absolutely junk. The best box on the market for a tri five is the all new CONCEPT ONE, check it out
Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.