Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help Any good advise or tech info for switching my 55 ht sb to a BB 396 4-speed Muncie set up, which kit is best to use ?? how far forward is best for mounting 1 1/4 or 2 1/4 ?? and not to hard on the check book. Thanks savedn92 Kevin

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,382 Posts
Heck yeah- Lots of advice available here for big block installation.
There are different ways to go with your install depending, for the most part on what type of suspension setup you'll be running, including intended height of car (some headers run under frame horns, others require a little frame surgery) . We have a whole section on the topic here in the Big Block Install Questions and Answers section.

Oh- and welcome to Trifive :)

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I used this kit from Ecklers on my 55 150, 396, 4 speed swap. Zero hammer time on firewall & I can remove my alum V/Cs to adj my solid Cam if necessary.

Click on above image to view full picture(s)

1955-57 Big Block Side Engine Mount Kit Chevy Side Engine Mount Kit, Big Block, 1955-1957
•Bolts-On, No Welding Required
•Requires Drilling
•Moves Engine Forward 2-1/4" For Proper Firewall Clearance
•Mounts Any Mark IV, V Or VI Big Block Chevy
•Does Not Require Use Of "Mid" Mounts
•For Use With Rear Crossmember P/N 19-153
•Use With P/N 24-56 Headers Or Stock Manifolds
•Allows Removal (Not Required) Of Stock Transmission Frame Horns
•Includes Brackets, Hardware, Grommets & Instructions
•Requires Use Of Oil Pan P/N 18-205 Or 18-210

Part #: 18-271
Price:
$187.99 Kit
Low Price Guarantee
Add Items to CartQty: .
Availability:
In Stock
Add to Wishlist

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
I could use some help Any good advise or tech info for switching my 55 ht sb to a BB 396 4-speed Muncie set up, which kit is best to use ?? how far forward is best for mounting 1 1/4 or 2 1/4 ?? and not to hard on the check book. Thanks savedn92 Kevin
kevin

most important is Run a scattershield :tu, as mentioned , lots of info here @ tri-5
Im running a 496 stroker/muncie, and naturally a scattershield :tu:tu
:anim_25: and keep us posted too

1 - 4 of 4 Posts