Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed all the side glass, and related door hardware from my 55 2 door sedan, the new stuff won't be going in for some time, but where does one find some information on where everything goes, and the order of assembly?. I think I have some missing parts that were not there for starters, the Factory manual doesn't show the side glass areas. I plan on installing a power window kit, and replacing any parts that are worn, thanks Ron

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Well, the rear is usually the most question, especially if it has been apart for awhile. In these three pictures I took some old parts that were in a box and laid them out as they are supposed to be installed. The first is an over look of everything. The second shows the front portion closer up and the third is the rear bracket placement. I only kept these parts for this reason and have since gotten rid of them. This is the left rear and to see this like this on the car, the quarter panel would have to be removed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the photos help. When removing the old parts, the glass with the channel at the bottom would not come out, the channel had to be removed, then the glass removed, on puting it back together, do you attach the glass to the channel, then attach it to the already installed regulator, arms etc, or insert the glass into the channel that is already bolted in, also the seal that guides the glass, is that installed before or after the window is in, I suspect you slide it down over the glass at the end, thanks for the help, Ron

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Ron, there is another part to the window lift I failed to mention. It is a piece of metal channel that attaches to the inside panel at the top with a screw and at the bottom with a screw I think? it's been a couple years since I was in mine so it's a little foggy. The way I installed the works in mine was to first to put that little channel in and then the outside fuzzie on the lip of the quarter at the bottom of the window opening.
Then put the upper fuzzie channel in place. It was originally installed with clips, but the new ones don't have those. I instead used small countersunk sheet metal screws about every 6 inches. Drill thru the fuzzie and the channel inside the upper window opening and install screws. Be careful to get the screws in deep enough that you can't feel the heads. If they aren't in far enough, the glass may hit them and crack the glass. Once the fuzzies are in, put the rear curved track in. Then put the window in and guide it into the small curved track at the rear and push it up into the closed position.
You may need to get an assistant to hold the glass up while you put the regulator in.
You will need to put the regulator in place before putting the vertical track in. Guide the regulator into the tracks. You just have to juggle the tracks and regulator until you get everything in. This sounds like a cop out, but it will become clear as it goes together.

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Ron i think that would be a yes to your question. You will need to attach the channel to the glass before installing it in the other channels. I`m not too far from being at that stage of the rebuild. Terry.
http://members.cardomain.com/chevman57

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I think I have it now, mount the rear curved mount, attach all the fuzzy stuff, attach the glass to the lower channel, install the glass into the opening, hold up the glass, install the regulator, and related stuff, now moving to the front door glass. I assume it is the same, except for the vent window , does it go in first, or after the main role up glass? thanks, Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts