Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know many of you don't like the idea of cutting your door panels to put your front speakers in, but for those of you who are thinking about it and not sure how to keep them dry, and don't want to use the baffles that Crutchfield sells that will kill your sound and cost over $100, I have a tip for you.

I recently installed 6.5" Infinitis in my front doors by removing the lower access panel and mounting them to the door panels and I think they look great. They also fit perfectly. The problem I had to deal with was how to keep them dry. With some help from Google I found a great idea on another site. What you do is buy Gladware 4 cup round bowels and cut the back of the lip/rim around the outside off. What you will find is they fit perfectly around the back of your speaker. You then cut an arched hole out of the part that will be facing the bottom of the door....this allows air to flow and utilizes the door for acoustic purposes and also allows you to attach your speaker wire. Next I used some 3M molding caulking to attach the bowl to the back of the speaker. After it drys you install in your door panel and you are done. You now have dry speakers with great sound.

Here is a link to a picture of the bowl cut out and attached to the speaker(not mine but where I got the idea from):

http://picasaweb.google.com/vhcebay/Speakers02?authkey=Gv1sRgCPyxos7a-tSmLQ#5326215587558708770

Hope this helps.

Hank

·
Registered
37,987 Posts
There are commercial products that do the same thing and are priced reasonably. They already have the right flange dimensions and have drilled holes to match the mounting holes for the speaker.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
My Crutchfields were $7 each..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts