Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few months ago, I took the steering wheel off. Well, heavy CRS set-in and I can't remember the sequence of installing all the parts.

Can anyone show me an exploded view of steering.

CJ

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,792 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
another that might be helpful.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, finally got the horn parts installed. But shouldn't the three prong insulator pass through the metal disc's round holes so the metal disc would float? And no, I don't have electrical power connected to test.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,792 Posts
Been a while for me, But it sure looks like that's the way the diagram shows it to me:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,556 Posts
Thanks guys, finally got the horn parts installed. But shouldn't the three prong insulator pass through the metal disc's round holes so the metal disc would float? And no, I don't have electrical power connected to test.
Yes, the 3 legged retainer goes through the large holes in the belleville spring.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the 3 legged retainer goes through the large holes in the belleville spring.
That's what I thought but the three legged prongs are too short for the spring, should I file the plastic washer down for needed clearence. Should the spring float on the three legs? I realize my description is horrible but that' the best I can do.
Thanks
CJ

·
26,556 Posts
That's what I thought but the three legged prongs are too short for the spring, should I file the plastic washer down for needed clearence. Should the spring float on the three legs? I realize my description is horrible but that' the best I can do.
Thanks
CJ
The spring doesn't actually float. It should provide just a slight pressure to the horn ring to keep it from rattling. It's best to shim the 3 legged retainer with some plastic washers. Glue them to the 3 legs after you figure out how thick they need to be. If you cut the notched plastic spacer down, it may not allow enough movement of the horn ring before it contacts the steering wheel spokes, to compress the spring.
P.S. There are different horn parts that go on the different year models, to allow for the differences in horn rings and wheels. The available parts usually have to be modified for smaller aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After beating my head against the fender trying to get my horn to work! My steering shaft is not grounded. How is the shaft grounded? Should/can I use a ground wire from steering shaft coupling to steering box coupling? Sounds like that should work??
CJ

·
26,556 Posts
After beating my head against the fender trying to get my horn to work! My steering shaft is not grounded. How is the shaft grounded? Should/can I use a ground wire from steering shaft coupling to steering box coupling? Sounds like that should work??
CJ
Yes, that's what you need. The original shaft was part of the box and grounded to it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sometimes it's simplest thing you overlook! LOL but now I can disassemble/assemble that steering apart
Thanks for your help
CJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts