Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
J.C. Taylor .....They don't have any miles or any other type of restrictions so you can enjoy your ride..............
I was with J.C Taylor up until about a year and a half ago.
That's not the way they were for me. They had more restrictions than my new policy with Grundy.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My agent asked me how many miles do you put on a year and I said 7-10 thousand . He said I'm glad to see you enjoy your car. Besides you don't have to show them your odometer every year. They have never asked to see it.Do insurance companys have spies that follow people around to see how many miles you drive ?? Don't think so. Of coarse one insurance salesman is going to bad mouth another company . Just like car salesmen ,,their brand is the best......I shop around every few years for all my insurance needs ,,,I keep coming back to J.C.Taylor for my hotrod. Good prices and no hassles on claims. Have had my 48 Buick on the road for 11 years and the first time I had it insured I had to submit pictures .I have increased the agreed value 2 times and their was never a question or the need for more pictures,just asked me if there were any changes to the overall appearance of the car.

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
My agent asked me how many miles do you put on a year and I said 7-10 thousand . He said I'm glad to see you enjoy your car. Besides you don't have to show them your odometer every year. They have never asked to see it.Do insurance companys have spies that follow people around to see how many miles you drive ?? Don't think so. Of coarse one insurance salesman is going to bad mouth another company . Just like car salesmen ,,their brand is the best......I shop around every few years for all my insurance needs ,,,I keep coming back to J.C.Taylor for my hotrod. Good prices and no hassles on claims. Have had my 48 Buick on the road for 11 years and the first time I had it insured I had to submit pictures .I have increased the agreed value 2 times and their was never a question or the need for more pictures,just asked me if there were any changes to the overall appearance of the car.
I would trust the fine print in the policy more than what the agent says.
You are probably right that they won't get you for the mileage. Where they will get you is where and when a mishap happened when you file a claim.
It would be hard to explain if you get into an accident downtown near your work at 8:00 AM on a Monday.

·
Registered
38,755 Posts
It would be hard to explain if you into an accident downtown near your work at 8:00 AM on a Monday.
Bingo. Or in the parking lot at work.

I don't think any classic car policy is going to cover you if you drive it to work. You will have to have a "regular" policy.

However, if you drive it to work and have a problem far enough away from that location, you're probably good if you can tell a credible story and not have anyone that might disagree.

I do work with a couple of guys who have old Corvettes that like to drive them to work on Fridays when the weather is nice. Just don't get caught. We have actually had a "car show" at work a couple of times - I think that would be ok.

Life's a risk, so is your car.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Bingo. Or in the parking lot at work.

I don't think any classic car policy is going to cover you if you drive it to work. You will have to have a "regular" policy.

However, if you drive it to work and have a problem far enough away from that location, you're probably good if you can tell a credible story and not have anyone that might disagree.

I do work with a couple of guys who have old Corvettes that like to drive them to work on Fridays when the weather is nice. Just don't get caught. We have actually had a "car show" at work a couple of times - I think that would be ok.

Life's a risk, so is your car.
We have two companies we do business with that allow some days per month driving the vehicle to work. At the present time they are not doing business in all of the states but that is going to change. Once they get in all the states this will put pressure on the other companies to allow this usage.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
I am sure that if I drove my car to work once in a while I was going to a car show after work or a cruise.

Likely your collector plates would not allow the car to be parked in a "work" lot very often either.

I take mine to the store sometimes but I live 15-20 minutes away and its a pleasure to drive it to the store and pleasure driving is covered.:bowtier:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Has anyone found an insurance company that will give you an Agreed Value for a classic driven once or twice a week to work?
Gordo, do you have any Farm Bureau insurance agents in your area? My Farm Bureau agent writes for Hagerty but they also write their own Classic insurance with agreed value and absolutely no restrictions on mileage or when you drive them. Hagerty quote was $400 something and Farm Bureau was $180 a year. Good luck.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Like 57tim said, we would probably have more trouble with police and DMV than insurance if we didn't have regular plates with inspection sticker and drove to work. Antique plates are really limited here and if a violation report happened to be sent to the insurance company it could create problems as well. Might get away with it and might not.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Like 57tim said, we would probably have more trouble with police and DMV than insurance if we didn't have regular plates with inspection sticker and drove to work. Antique plates are really limited here and if a violation report happened to be sent to the insurance company it could create problems as well. Might get away with it and might not.
In Texas we have Year Of Manufacture plates which don't have the restrictions Antique Plates do, I don't know about other states. I can't use Antique Plates, my motor isn't twenty-five years old for one thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.