Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The intake on this '55 I just got is very scroungy.....Any suggestions on how to clean it up (on the car) would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Harley makes this nice Aluminum Cleaner that is safe for all paints, rubber and chrome. I used it on my Cylinders (cases) on my 1200 Sportster and it worked great. I tried it on my Aluminum Manifold and it also worked fantastic. Wish I could remember the name..LOL Something one!!

I remembered the Name!!! "S100" Total Cycle cleaner!! Great stuff!!

·
Powder Coating Tech
924 Posts
Simple Green, but you may have touch up the paint on the block and water pump. It tends to clean really well.

Do not use anywhere near anything that has powder coat on it, it will stain and/or discolor it !!

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts
cleaner

Super Clean also works well but make sure to wear rubber gloves and eye protection. Get it on your skin and you'll look like a gator.:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
5,572 Posts
hay dave i have a aluminum intake on my 69 rs camaro and i use eagle 1 non clear coat wheel cleaner. have used for 20 years never a problem

dean

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I have had good luck with simple green... Oh yeah.. Hey Dave. :confused0006: You might want to look at your valve cover. i think its on wrong?? :sign0020:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
belairrudy;You might want to look at your valve cover. i think its on wrong?? :sign0020:[/QUOTE said:
Thanks belair, good catch.....And thanks to everyone for the good cleaning tips.

Just got the car......I've been so busy fixing all the nckle/dime things, I had not noticed the valve cover on upside down....Funny how photos can reveal things you don't normally pay attention to....Also, discovered the master cylinder leaking, when I photographed it for another thread.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Off the car like that the best thing is bead blasting. It will look like new.

A cheaper alternative is to paint it with aluminum spray paint.

Spray painting is an option on the car too but not easy.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
A friend of mine used a product, I think it is called "milk stone", that he got from a truckers supply shop. He used it to clean his manifold and Cal Custom Valve covers on his T-bucket...sure made a big difference. He did Simple Green full strength, followed by a pressure washer to remove most of the 25+ year old grime, then used the ''milk stone''. The manifold and covers were off the car. When he reassembled the engine he once again treated the whole engine with full strength Simple Green then washed it off. Then polished up up everything with Mothers Alum. polish...just word of mouth and seemed to work. Robs engine was really getting grimy looking and really looks good now

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts
wheel cleaner ?

Back in the days before clear coat wheels there was a product called "Esprie" wheel cleaner that I used on cast wheel that really did the job with a little nlight brushing. I don't know if its still on the market but if you see it try it.

:gba:

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Thanks belair, good catch.....And thanks to everyone for the good cleaning tips. Just got the car......I've been so busy fixing all the nckle/dime things, I had not noticed the valve cover on upside down....
Hey Dave, I'd bet they flipped that valve cover over for a reason...

It may have been leaking due to a crack around one of the bolt holes, or a bent flange they were too lazy to fix, so they flipped the bad side up, with the straighter flange on the bottom so it would seal.

So, I'd take a real close look at that one when you get round to flip'n it back over, unless you plan on replacing those, then I wouldn't worry about it. :tu

Just a thought, best of luck with it. And as far as cleaning, I've used Scotch Bright pads on the end of a drimmle tool in conjunction with that aluminum cleaner.

The smaller tip of the drimmle allows you to get down into all the nooks and crannies and really polish'r up, so you might try that, but if you have a bead blaster around close, I'd agree that'd be the best.... :tu

Good luck !! be sure to let us see the finished product when you're done.

BDR...:cool:

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I used a bead blaster to cleaner a intake if its off the engine then clear coat it with ppg clear then you can wash it with any cleaner and it will still look good, I did one 3 years ago and still looks great. Later Bill

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Great Advice, Seal the Deal...

I used a bead blaster to cleaner a intake if its off the engine then clear coat it with ppg clear then you can wash it with any cleaner and it will still look good, I did one 3 years ago and still looks great. Later Bill
Good advice Bill, that's what I should have done when I installed my freshly polished aluminum firewall. Now that it's covered up by all the stuff bolted to it with the engine in the way, it's a real pain getting those water spots off and buffing it out everytime I want to show it off... so i learned my leason the hard way, so when you're done Dave, seal it while you can or you'll regret it !!!

Next time I take the time to polish my firewall out real good, I'm going to tape everything off and seal it with clear coat best I can.

BDR...:cool:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Use the acidic wheel cleaner by Eagle and others it is for non-coated wheels. It will clean most and if not a lot of the corrosion off. Use a brush and wear eye protection leave it on about 5 minutes and rinse.

Joe:anim_25:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts