Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to eliminate problems ahead of time while bringing my 56 back to life. Thought I'd have the radiator tested while I'm fixing other things under the hood.

Unfortunately, the original radiator on the old girl was toast. Guess sitting in a garage for 45 years with water in it was too much to ask. Even though the radiator looked almost pristine from the outside, the core looked like a fizzle rock in an aquarium when submerged in his tank and pressure tested. Even the radiator guy was shocked, he said it looked almost new from the outside. Glad I found this out before firing the motor up for the first time. So, while I'm having a new core installed to keep the original outer parts, the radiator guy and I are talking about my future plans for the car. Bigger engine, HP possibilities, what are my plans, etc.

During the course of this conversation, he mentions high-flow water pumps. His opinion is that on these old style down-flow radiators, a high flow pump is not always a good option because it can push the water through the radiator "too fast" and the water doesn't get a chance to cool down enough, leading to overheating problems.

Interesting comment. I'm sure a lot of other factors come into play (air flow, radiator condition, shrouded or unshrouded, overbored motor, HP production, etc., etc.). But, given he has seen a LOT of overheating problems come into his shop over the last 30 years, and I'm wondering if he has a valid point in some circumstances.

Anybody ever heard of this actually being a problem with original style down-flow radiators? I'm not thinking of installing a high-flow pump at this point, the engine is all stock. But I'm interested in your opinions on this subject.

Thoughts?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
This has been beat to death in previous posts. The slower it goes through the radiator, the slower it goes through the engine, so if it does cool off more in the radiator, it will heat up more in the engine. What have you gained????

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I forgot that what may be new to me (as in: never having had need for that conversation before) has most likely been gone over many times in the past by you folks. My fault for not searching first.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Sorry, I forgot that what may be new to me (as in: never having had need for that conversation before) has most likely been gone over many times in the past by you folks. My fault for not searching first.
Don't worry about it, some people just get their panties in a bunch, and they wonder why not everyone asks questions and/or participates. Who's going to post when the long timers chastise you for being a newbie and not knowing everything that's been talked about for the last 10 years!! Come on give people a break!!!

·
Registered
38,739 Posts
And your comments about my comments are equally revolting.

"Too much flow through the radiator" is a charged up subject, lots of differing opinions, hence my comment.

No doubt we'll get the same discussion on this thread.

To me, there's valid reasons for using a high flow water pump. But they probably aren't needed on the average driver.

My apologies if I offended you, 56-210ht.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.