Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of figuring out what I just bought with my 1955 150. The restoration is 12-20 years old, but I can't estimate better than that at this point. There is 605 power steering box installed.

The steering column is tilt, but has a cable-actuated turn signal with no cancelling cam. The switch installed on the column bears the marks "DR-2-61" and I guess that it's from an early 60's GM.

The horn is disconnected and there is not a 4-way flasher switch. There is no neutral safety switch installed, but there is a spot for one. What is really strange is that the gear shift cam is on the bottom-side of the column and is about 2 inches closer to the driver than where it should be. I suspect the column was robbed out of a 60's model GM for the tilt option and installed upside down to hide the gear shift cam, but the result is less than optimal.

Does anyone know what kind of column I've got? Is there any reason I shouldn't tear it out and install an Ididit column with the proper fit, a cancelling cam, horn, tilt, neutral safety switch and backup lights?

·
Administrator
67,972 Posts
There was alot of Camaro tilt steering coloumns fitted into Trifive`s as they had the tilt option as the front end could also be grafted on.

I would check to see it you may one of those :anim_25:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
angs1957,

How can I tell if I've got a Camaro column? I can't find any other markings on it. As a sidenote, I find it strange that GM would go to a mechanical turn signal switch after several years of electrical switches.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
angs1957,

How can I tell if I've got a Camaro column? I can't find any other markings on it. As a sidenote, I find it strange that GM would go to a mechanical turn signal switch after several years of electrical switches.
The early 60's tilt columns used a remote cable operated turn signal switch to save space at the top of the column for the tilt mechanism.
Since parts will be difficult to find for that column, it may be wise to get an aftermarket column.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts