Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the '57 interior bare and going from nothing to complete new interior and carpet am thinking would like to put some sort of sound & heat barrier down on the floor. Maybe the door and rear seat interior cavities? The floor was cleaned and sealed but would like some sort of dense mat applied to the floor. Not at all familiar with all the offerings today but thinking now is the time. Would appreciate any tips, info and real world experiences with what to use and what not to use. See some offerings on eBay but just don't know enough about it to choose what to use. Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
DF,

It all depends on what problem you are tackling - noise or heat reduction. In my case, installing a proper layer of both sound insulation and heat foam on the firewall yielded excellent results, and a layer of insulation on the floorboards (in addition to the existing carpet insulation) was icing on the cake. I estimate a 60-70% heat and noise reduction on my 47 Plymouth, and I expect the same when I get my 56 back on the road. Of course, bear in mind that in both cases I replaced either extremely worn or non-existent insulation which would partly account for the dramatic results. YMMV.

I have used Hushmat products (both the sound insulation and the foam heat barrier) and I am extremely pleased with their products.

In any case, good luck!

·
Administrator
63,445 Posts
There are various products available, if the inside is bare make sure you cover the roof lining as well.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pops, thanks for the Nomad link. Some interesting reading there for sure. Thanks for all the replies. Not sure what I may find locally or have to order off the net. No local restoration suppliers here. Wish we did have something, would cut the cost of shipping items. Shipping just keeps getting worse all the time. Now with the CV shutting down all the swap meets even that is not an escape from shipping costs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You might check with Affordable Street Rods in Peabody, Ks about 75 miles from you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are also spray on ceramic products that I was interested in . One is for heat , one for sound . But you need to put the correct one down first as there is an order in which they are applied . Some products take up valuable space as in where the vintage air goes.

Robbie OD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts