Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a photo of how the rear sheet metal sills/wire covers are installed in a 57 2 door sedan? I know they are attached with two screws but not sure where to place the covers themselves for the install.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Does anyone have a photo of how the rear sheet metal sills/wire covers are installed in a 57 2 door sedan? I know they are attached with two screws but not sure where to place the covers themselves for the install.
I put mine in about 7-8 yrs. ago. Sorry, no pics. But, I recall somewhat of what I did. If you didn't change too much of the floor pan/sheet metal, you should find 2 holes in the pan area that will match up to the rear cover. I believe the cover will go almost up to, possibly touching, the inner shell. There should also be several holes in the front portion of the floor/pan to match up that piece. If you have holes in the floor for one, you can match up the other. Just make sure it runs straight. Also, I think the ends inner lock. Not sure which piece to put down first to accommodate this but you'll figure it out, Carmine.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Had to do significant repairs to the floor boards so no holes to reference and not sure how far over they go.
Don't hold me to this, but I believe the front cover will go all the way over to the top of the rocker. You'll see a slight lip that it goes up against and there should be some holes that correspond with the holes in the cover. If you could find one or two of these holes, it would be a good guide. One concern would be to make sure the cover fits as flush and flat as possible. You have to consider a sound deadening material and carpet on top of that. You want the new sill plates to fit nice; not have the inner edge up too high up. I'm sure you want it right, but don't torment yourself too much over this. Get it the best you can, something that looks practical, because once it's covered, there's a good chance you'll never see it again.

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
If you can get the front covers correctly in place, then as Carmine says the bends in the rears line up with the bends in the fronts, and the fronts will overlap the rears by 1/4" - 1/2". Sorry I don't have any pics either but it's not hard, and there's not a need for a lot of precision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.