Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few posts re this problem, but I'm still having trouble understanding this problem on our newest addition, our '57 Nomad.
I have had a few friends comment that our LH rear stop/turn signal lights out. Generally I'll check it at home and it's fine, so is the RH light.
I had it at our 6 monthly Warrant of Fitness check and of course LH is not working.
So this is what I have checked so far.
  • removed LH rear tail light housing, checked the brass socket and the nylon socket, initially I found the pink wire was loose, so reinserted that, thought that's it but no go.
  • tested the pink wire with the pin prick method, there is good continuity to the brass contact, and 12v but no light when bulb fitted (during this I had a prop on the brake pedal).
  • decided it had to be a poor contact in the turn signal switch, so I removed steering wheel, turn signal housing, so while it was like that I test the rear bulb and it's glowing bright.
  • as yet I can't get the turn signal housing right off owing to my own physical limits to disconnect the wiring plug and horn connector, so can the turn signal switch be opened to clean the contacts? Don't say to get a new switch, these are not available new here in New Zealand so it would be several weeks before one would get here.
The switch wiring looks fairly new, I guess it was replaced when the car was restored 15 yrs ago. I can say the car had little use since, so that's why I suspect it could be bad contacts in the switch.

·
Administrator
63,702 Posts
Sounds like turn signal switch may be the culprit. There is a connecting plug at the bottom of the steering column, you should be able to test the wiring at that plug.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,168 Posts
If both the turn and brake light are failing, it's possible, but not very likely the turn switch, because one uses a normally open contact and the other a normally closed.
Did you check the rear harness connector near the drivers kick panel for a loose connection?

·
Registered
364 Posts
My post has nothing of value to help you with your current problem, but...

I just wanted to point out the the "pin prick" testing procedure works, but adds a hole for moisture to enter, potentially causing corrosion in the wire. I used that process many years ago working for Cummins Engine Co. and had customers come back a few weeks later with an electrical problem in the same wires that they came in for the first time (mainly in the winter with salty roads). If you do that kind wire testing, a little dab of silicone works to seal the hole.

Possibly not a big deal on cars that are not driven much in the rain or salty winter roads, but it's an easy way to help avoid future problems.

Sorry for jabbing on for so long!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don was right, it was an uncompleted connection to the rear wiring harness, the pink wire spade was not pushed all the way in.
All of my pin pricks were sealed with clear lacquer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts