Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I have a question for you guys.. I installed A "vintage" (melling) 427 solid lifter cam and lifters That I had laying around from the good ol days ( the early 70's) into a late model 454 engine from a tow truck. (84 or 85 I think ) I threw the stock restrictive heads away and put a set of heads from a non truck 454- ovalports- and edelbrock intake.When I was ajusting the valves hot and running i didn't get the oil gusher effect from the rocker arms I remember so dearly... Some where in the deep recescess of my memory (or whats left of it) I think that there was a diffrence in early and late lifters -- the placement of the oil feed hole that gets the oil from the anunulus from the block to feed the pushrods. The engine runs great sounds badd a** with the cam I put in but I think I need more oil up top. I already orderd a new set of solids from summit but does anyone out there know this for a fact??? Thanks alot in advance and happy holidays to all you (us)chevy nuts!! :blowtiedb::congrats:

Dave

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
The cam on an early big block (65-66?) has a slot on the rear journal similar to the slot on a 55-56 265. Sorry I don't have more details.

But I'm not aware of lifter differences.

Obviously I only know some fragments of info here so maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
only the cam is different - 65-66 has the groove - the grooved journal is to get oil to the lifter galleys. Installin a late cam (no grove into an early block WILL STARVE THE LIFTERS ON ONE SIDE (can't remember which). The 66 to 95 has twin galley feed and using the grooved cam would only cause a bleed off of some of the oil - as long as pressure is above 20 hot you should be fine.

the lifters are the same - but solids are not adjusted hot AND RUNNING!!!! (I hope you meant you lit er off with the covers off after you set the lash :anim_60: )

Solids do not flow the same volume of oil as hyd. In fact a common mod when running solids is to place a restrictor in the feed galleys to reduce the excess oil accumulating in the valve covers! As long as the spurts go far enough to get just past the fulcrums you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
connect the dots

on the early blocks wether small or big block if a guy is thinking before the block goes to the machine shop ,he'd knock out the rear cam bearing and use a ball end cutter and cut a slot between the two round oil holes and then do the same to the new bearing before it's installed in the block. Thus removing the problem of the oil grove once and for all no matter what cam they put into the block.

·
Registered
483 Posts
on the early blocks wether small or big block if a guy is thinking before the block goes to the machine shop ,he'd knock out the rear cam bearing and use a ball end cutter and cut a slot between the two round oil holes and then do the same to the new bearing before it's installed in the block. Thus removing the problem of the oil grove once and for all no matter what cam they put into the block.
If you groove the bearing bore and run the grooved cam you would have too much oil flowing to the mains and thus bleeding off the lifter volume (pressure would be very close to the same though I would think - held by the bearing clearances) and hyd lifters would act "flat" (they would not pump up as far). the dimensions on the cam groove are a very close tolerance. but if running solids and never going back to hyd - you are absolutely correct - I have seen many done this way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts