Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Saving, restoring, parting out are just a few decisions you have to make before starting a build. Certainly vision, commitment, your recourses and ability play a big part.
I learned long ago that the time and labor put into a build rarely equates to the price you can get if and when you sell. Sometimes finding a car to flip helps finance more permanent projects. The labor I might devote to this is classified more as Preservation rather than Restoration and makes it more appealing to a buyer.
You need to be committed and really want some builds. If you know what you want, I say go for it.
I am currently helping a friend with a (not a TriFive) 33 Plymouth project that most people including several friends said "what the hell you guys think you are going to do with that". We literally started with a bunch of pieces from a cut up car that was sitting in a field. The price was right, my buddy had a plan and really wanted to build this car. It has taken us a few years with a lot of changes and making or chasing down parts but we now have a mostly all steel car that will be unique with a cool history.
Some people may call building cars a sport or a hobby. I agree but I also see us as visionary artists with the ability to build and preserve some pretty amazing creations.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Is this car worth resorting.

Floors rusted out , trunk rusted out, Bad quarters, top rusted out in rear etc. etc etc

Otis
With enough time and money anything can be fixed. Only the owner who is spending the time and money can make the determination if its worth it.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Like em fix them. Its only money and lots of time. Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
While money, skill, and time can restore just about anything - the decision usually is an emotional tie or a vision to execute into a reality. My experience has been that unless you buy a fully restored (documented) vehicle, all the drivers have hidden work that will need to be addressed. The problem is that you can't really assess it until the body is media blasted.

As a business - forget about it. The 1000's of hours required and the price of the parts are simply overwhelming! The bottom line is that these are acts of passion, pure and simple.

When I researched to buy my Nomad, I knew it was going to be a modern Restomod build so I looked for a solid non-original example with good bones. The 55 I inspected and subsequently purchased seemed to only need a new quarter panel, door skins, and a new firewall (which was part of the build plan anyway). When we media blasted the body we noticed that the solid floor wasn't so solid after all - surprise.
That is how it goes.
Here is a shot of the body shell when I bought it and how she looks like today:

·
Registered
205 Posts

Floors rusted out , trunk rusted out, Bad quarters, top rusted out in rear etc. etc etc

Otis
Hey Otis, I am looking for cars to put together short feature articles about for Chevy Hardcore, I really like what you did with your car and the way you were showing that these cars are all worth saving. Would you be willing to answer a few questions and send me some pictures for an article?

Thanks!

Here is my contributor page so you know I am being serious :tu

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/author/kylerlacey/

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
New pictures my 57 4 door hardtop

On my profile is an album with my hardtop when I bought it back in July last year and some showing the progress I've been able to do. Being disabled, I work on it as much as this old decrepit body will allow. And being on a tight budget, it will take more time to finish. Several members has helped me immensely with parts and I an grateful for that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
proof to my wife that I'm not nuts!

It's really something special! My 55 is starting to turn into the money pit. Otis made me feel better. I just discovered rust in the frame by the spring perches.:tu

·
Premium Member
11,044 Posts
Rust by the spring perches? Yea it happens, fairly common. But you know how it is, just roll up your sleeves and make repairs, lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Rust by the spring perches? Yea it happens, fairly common. But you know how it is, just roll up your sleeves and make repairs, lol.
Thanks for the encouragement. New complete floor with braces and inner rockers on its way from Classic Industries . Already had complete outer rockers

Sent from my SM-E700F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
blonde

Otis.If the frame is not rusted through,its probably better than what I started with.I vote yes.Even if you only do enough to sell it for $$to use on your other project(s)
when I was building my nomad I got to the point I had a lot of money in it I sent my wife to the tax office to have them look at the title to make sure they would have no problem changing it over to my name when it was finished. I now have a blond with a nomad

·
Registered
240 Posts
When I started tearing into my 55 and found how much rust damage there was I was disheartened. Then I began looking at Utube videos of tri-five car restoration and the thing that kept grabbing my attention was the fact that most of those cars were in worse shape than mine and after seeing those cars brought back it gave me hope for my car. Also, once you get started you learn as you go. What looks insurmountable now will give way to a practical solution as you progress. Saying that, I'm less than half way through with my sheet metal repairs and lack the experience of most of the guys in the posts above.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Otis
It will cost you more than you'll get out of it when you sell it, put that is probably true for all of us! Plenty of refurbished ones out there that will sell for less than they were refurbished for. If you really want a project buy the complete frame tranny and rear end from Danchuck and go from there and you'll then have a great motor, all new suspension, steering, brakes, tranny, rear end and wiring already done and you can go body up customized any way your want for less money.

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,337 Posts

Otis
NO UNLEES THERE IS SOME ATTACHMENT OR YOU HAVE MONEY TO THROUGH AWAY. FULL RESTORATION WILL COST MORE THAN VALUE OF CAR

81 - 98 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.