Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been playing around with my chassis getting ready to put the body back on and set the stance. I've got the rear figured out and I'm now focusing on the front.
To do the mock-up I've got some really cool adjustable rods that simulate shock length. (Nick P. made these)

I used the QA-1 coil-over specs off of the Speedway site to set the ride height at 12.75 and the result is that my front crossmember is 10.5" off the ground. This sure seems high, even with stock spindles.

Could the specs be wrong? (I couldn't find them on the QA-1 site)
Am I doing this correctly?

BTW, I'm not 100% sold on QA-1s. Thinking about other brands and even standard coil springs and good shocks. Open to suggestions.
Car is more of a hot rod than pro-touring but I will have front/rear sway bars, tri 4 bar rear, 4 wheel discs. The goal is to handle fairly well and be fun to drive.

Details:

Tires: 26"
Shocks: 12.75 at ride height
Spindles: Stock
Control Arms: Heidt's Stainless

QA-1 specs from Speedway.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Height?

I'm thinking you only set ride height wit all the body panels , fenders,glass, air cond. componets on the car. I sure it will change dramaticaly on all is aboard. See how much angle of the front tires.

·
12,256 Posts
10.5" at the crossmember with 26" tires is way too high. Like Don said, you can check the stock ride height by measuring the spindles and lower a-arm shafts.

I wonder if you're measuring the length of the shock from the correct place. These appear to have a stud end, so where is the length measured? Have you measured them extended to see if they are 15"?

Wh aren't you sold on QA-1? I have Aldans on my car but I have recommended QA-1 on my recent conversions. I am not sure Aldan makes a "conversion" setup specifically for Tri5's.

http://www.aldaneagle.com

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,522 Posts
I have the qa1 setup on my 56 and love it . rides great, not mushy, just right,not to firm. handles well . to adjust stance, I waited till the car was assembled then played with it till I liked the way it sat . you have about 2.5 inches @ the shock of adjustment to play with. that works out to about 4 inches @ the wheel.. I use qa1 products exclusively now :bowtier::anim_25::bowtieb:

·
12,256 Posts
A coilover system has to be set up correctly at the intended ride height. You can do that without the car assembled. Contrary to what some people believe, you should NOT use the coilover to adjust the height of the car unless you move the coilover mount up and down. It needs to be set up 1/3 to 1/2 compressed at the intended ride height when the system is designed. Once the weight is on them, you adjust the nut to bring the car to the proper ride height, assuming you've selected the correct springs.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A coilover system has to be set up correctly at the intended ride height. You can do that without the car assembled. Contrary to what some people believe, you should NOT use the coilover to adjust the height of the car unless you move the coilover mount up and down. It needs to be set up 1/3 to 1/2 compressed at the intended ride height when the system is designed. Once the weight is on them, you adjust the nut to bring the car to the proper ride height, assuming you've selected the correct springs.
Bingo.

That's why I'm using the mock-up adjusters to simulate ride height.
I calculatefd that 12.75" should be right in the middle of the travel.

Here's where I'm measuring. I think this should be correct.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wh aren't you sold on QA-1? I have Aldans on my car but I have recommended QA-1 on my recent conversions. I am not sure Aldan makes a "conversion" setup specifically for Tri5's.

http://www.aldaneagle.com

I've read a number of stories about QA-1's leaking and even some concerns about
the GM conversion setups bending.

Here's a pretty good thread about QA-1's and ride height on another site:
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/165324/

Aldan has quite a few critics, too. Looks like they had some quality issues
a while back but they seemed to be resolved.

The ones that are looking pretty appealing right now are the Varishocks.
Ridetech is about to come out with a stud mount coil-over shock that articulates at the
top.

I'm really starting to wonder how much of an advantage coil-overs really are
over springs and good quality adjustable shocks.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
A stock monroe #5801 shock is 14.375 extended and 9.25 compressed, so the center of travel would be about 11.8". I would adjust the mock-up for the stock control arm angle of 3" difference, assumeing 3" is no spring sag and 2 1/2" is maximum recommended sag according to the shop manual. Then see what the length is.

·
12,256 Posts
Looks like you're measuring it correctly. I would think you'd measure at the mounting points, and the top mounting point should be between the two bushings.

I would be amazed if you could bend the piston rod on a coilover. Those are ususally 9/16" or 5/8" diameter. I wonder what the situation was when they bent. On the other hand, those "conversion shocks have the top of the spring separately mounted from the shock rod, so it's not always perfectly centered like it is with a "regular" coilover.

QA-1 sells thousands of shocks a year, I'm sure. A few isolated incidents of leaking doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong. I think both the QA-1 and the ALdans are rebuildable.

I haven't had my Aldans on the road, but tuned55 has. I haven't heard anything negative from him.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, it seems hard to believe that the shock would bend but I can understand how it could "possibly" happen because the spring and shock could move in different arcs. I'm talking about the conversion models that
have the springs attaching to both the coilover and the stock upper spring pocket. (QA1s)

To be realistic, I'm sure I would probably be happy with any of the manufacturers as long as I got the setup with the correct specs.

As far as customer service, the Aldan tech guy was great at answering
my questions. Haven't called the others yet.

I'm just gonna keep going and set up my stance with the mock-up adjusters
and then try my best to get the correct shocks for my setup.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A stock monroe #5801 shock is 14.375 extended and 9.25 compressed, so the center of travel would be about 11.8". I would adjust the mock-up for the stock control arm angle of 3" difference, assumeing 3" is no spring sag and 2 1/2" is maximum recommended sag according to the shop manual. Then see what the length is.

Don,

I'll try this today. Thanks for the links.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts