Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.I`m new here just posted in the welcome forums yesterday.I`m looking at a 55 Convertable that this guy has, it`s all original with a lot of NOS sheet metal parts.Some rot as pictured and some not pictured I`ll know more next time I go look.The motor and trans were rebuilt and out of the car.I went to see it today but it was hard to get to see the whole car.He wants 25K for it.Is it worth the money?
Thanks Tim

Attachments

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
425 Posts
Try bargaining, say $20K. To me it's worth it to find a drop top in this original condition with parts and the motor/trans finished. I will tell you that it will take that much and more to get it running and shiney, unless you're a paint and body man. Will it be completely original?

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
What do you want to do with it?

Do you want to restore it, or make a modified car? Are you going to do the work yourself, or most of it?

Being as it's a convertible, you need to check several things. How complete is it as far as trim, particularly the convertible only trim? How good is that trim's condition?

Look closely some more in the trunk and convertible top well for rust.

Convertibles are very expensive to buy as a project. Convertible parts that are missing or damaged are even more expensive. Complete running convertibles in good shape might be a better buy these days.

Hard call.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try bargaining, say $20K. To me it's worth it to find a drop top in this original condition with parts and the motor/trans finished. I will tell you that it will take that much and more to get it running and shiney, unless you're a paint and body man. Will it be completely original?
No, I`m not a paint and body man.That would be my plan, to go back to original.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you want to do with it?

Do you want to restore it, or make a modified car? Are you going to do the work yourself, or most of it?

Being as it's a convertible, you need to check several things. How complete is it as far as trim, particularly the convertible only trim? How good is that trim's condition?

Look closely some more in the trunk and convertible top well for rust.

Convertibles are very expensive to buy as a project. Convertible parts that are missing or damaged are even more expensive. Complete running convertibles in good shape might be a better buy these days.

Hard call.
Chrome is all there and on the car with some other trim pieces in a cart with alot of sheet metal.NOS front fenders,quater patches, inner pieces that go in front of the fenders,I dont know what there are called, new interior rugs door panels alot of stuff the original owner gave him.

68,758 Posts
hi tim. $20,000-$25,000 sounds right. just remember its going to cost more than you think to finish it. if your buying it to work on yourself (for the fun of doing it yourself), go for it. otherwise, maybe look for one done. :anim_25:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi tim. $20,000-$25,000 sounds right. just remember its going to cost more than you think to finish it. if your buying it to work on yourself (for the fun of doing it yourself), go for it. otherwise, maybe look for one done. :anim_25:

I would do some of it but not alot maybe mechanics but not body.I`m still doing my 64 Malibu SS.I saw this and was wondering if it would be a good deal.Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice project, but remember these things...

What you see is only the tip of the iceburg

It will take at least twice as long to do the project as you think it will

It will cost at least twice what you plan on

:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) Tim, if you have deep pockets, go for it.
If not, its going to run you in the 20 to 25k area to get it set up right after the initial purchase price.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
cars price

I agree with you all except for the cost of restoration I would guess maybe $50,000. with nice paint... How's the tranny and motor?? The motor looks good but whats the history on it. Peter

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is it a convertible or a 2 dr hard top,

To me It looked like a 2 dr ht. Nice find regardless.

Good luck.

Alex

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Price sounds about right... but you said the engine and trans were rebuilt?? Ask him who rebuilt them and does he have receipts.

7,080 Posts
Similar situation on mine when I got it. All there. BUT can not use any of it without either polishing or replacing ALL S/S. Chroming or replacing ALL chrome pieces. Replacing all pot metal chrome pieces. While originally driver quality, every thing I have done has made the rest look really bad, and it is a never ending circle. Do not believe you can redo it properly for anything less than $50,000 (25 car, 25 resto)(most probably a good deal higher). No regrets here. That being said, If it trips your trigger and you have the $$$$$$$$$s, GO FOR IT. Not many left anymore. Regards :anim_25: Lloyd

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
I would do some of it but not alot maybe mechanics but not body.I`m still doing my 64 Malibu SS.I saw this and was wondering if it would be a good deal.Thanks
hi
just wondering, Myself Id finish the 64 malibu SS. As myself I dont really like to much sitting around in pieces and not done, oh ya, actually these <cars> arnt really done are they :D
:anim_25: and keep us posted too :tu

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with you all except for the cost of restoration I would guess maybe $50,000. with nice paint... How's the tranny and motor?? The motor looks good but whats the history on it. Peter
He says the motor and trans were "professionally" rebuilt.They are original to the car which has about 60K miles on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone.
That`s what I`m trying to find out IF it`s worth the asking price and what it would cost to do it over to original.Would it be worth 60-70K after it`s done?

·
Registered
249 Posts
May I add just a few thoughts.
First off make certain that you are indeed looking at an original Convertible: check the Data plate. While you are at it have a look to see if the engine and transmission are correct to the manufacture.
How to do that is on this website:
http://www.trifive.com/specs/19. Original Specs.pdf
I have seen some convertible cars that were chopped quite a while back in anticipation of a full restore and it took me a few minutes to spot the difference. They looked like a convertible under a long term restoration but small things gave them away after one checked. If there are no data plates (vin plate and cowl tag), then be wary unless you really know what to look for.
“Hard” cost it to get it back to driving condition. Hopefully most of that is mechanical and a few body patches. That can easily be $10K: it all depends on what condition the mechanical parts are in. You already know you have some significant rust. The one potential stopper is how bad is the frame?
Regardless of who does the work some aspects are big ticket items depending on where you live due to environmental protection/laws. Chroming and the cost of paint (the actual paint) are starting to go through the roof in some places.
If you need a new frame then you are well on the way to do a body-off-frame restoration and the dollars start to pile up. So make sure you have a look at the frame for major rot.
The real challenge with restorations is where to stop when you are spending money. You can easily put $40K plus into a convertible or a 4 door 150 for that matter. The difference is what the value is of each car after the restoration. Spending $20K in restoration for a ’55 150 6 cylinder will leave you with a $15K car. Spending $30K on the same car leaves you with a $15.1K car: it has reached it maximum value. Convertibles have a much higher value after restoration (some are well into the $70K and more mark), so you can rationalize spending more money (this may or may not work as a rational with your wife when she asks how much all this is costing).
One rarely, if ever, makes money on a car restoration.
I am a big supporter of going as original as possible. A lot of people feel otherwise.
Best of luck with whatever route you choose.
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.