Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a new 500 box through Summit a few months ago to replace a 605 box in my 55. Have driven the car a few times now and when the car warms up, the steering gets tight in the center where the tires are straight. Like between 10 and 2 it’s tight. Makes cruising and making minor lane adjustments awkward. Has anybody had a similar issue. I thought it might be an issue with the pump, but after replacing the pump the issue is the same.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Mine has similar issue. I haven't had any luck either. Swapped pump as well. Would love to know if there was a solution but I'm guessing it's a box issue. I picked up a Borgeson 600 box to swap out sometime. Pain in the a** though. Not really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has similar issue. I haven't had any luck either. Swapped pump as well. Would love to know if there was a solution but I'm guessing it's a box issue. I picked up a Borgeson 600 box to swap out sometime. Pain in the a** though. Not really looking forward to it.
Did you contact CPP about it?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I haven't. Probably out of warranty and heard the customer service isn't the best. Wasn't looking to rip box out, send back for them to tell me all is good. Stuff like that just ticks me off....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't. Probably out of warranty and heard the customer service isn't the best. Wasn't looking to rip box out, send back for them to tell me all is good. Stuff like that just ticks me off....
I talked with a guy at a company that rebuilds and refurbishes steering boxes. There may be a simple fix for the tight center steering. Once I go through it I’ll let you know if it resolved it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I talked with a guy at a company that rebuilds and refurbishes steering boxes. There may be a simple fix for the tight center steering. Once I go through it I’ll let you know if it resolved it.
Excellent. Please do.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Is the CPP500 box the same deal? Snug then back off a quarter turn. Hate to smoke the box even though it's a ****...
What have you got to loose? Your already thinking about replacing it anyway. JMHO. I sure liked mine.:):bowtier:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sector adjustment is to tight back it off a turn or so then road test. Tighten or loosen the adjuster until you you get the feel you want in the wheel. The sector bolt will turn with the lock nut use metric 2 wrenches.

There is a way to set it with an inch # torque wrench on the steering shaft nut but not many folks have that torque wrench.

·
Registered
35,756 Posts
Backing it off one turn is probably way too far. Try 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

The torque wrench method is only good if you measure off the car with no steering column or steering linkage in place.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Best to start loose then adjust to remove the slop.

Certified techs know the sector adjustment procedure in an assembled vehicle with an inch pound torque wrench.

PM if the how to is required.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sector adjustment is to tight back it off a turn or so then road test. Tighten or loosen the adjuster until you you get the feel you want in the wheel. The sector bolt will turn with the lock nut use metric 2 wrenches.

There is a way to set it with an inch # torque wrench on the steering shaft nut but not many folks have that torque wrench.
My Snap-On digital will do inch pounds. What’s the procedure?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts