Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was quite lucky finding mine, in fact it found me!

About 7 years ago I had a '67 Camaro which I’d owned for around 3 years, loved it to bits, drove it every day but finally decided that it would cost too much to fix everything that it needed to be the car I really wanted. So I advertised the Camaro in a local free paper, not expecting it to sell I’d also advertised it in a national magazine called Custom Car but unfortunately/luckily for me it sold through the local free paper almost straight away. This meant that when the ad came out in the national magazine the car had been sold two weeks previously, I had over 27 phone calls, 2 from France, all of which I had to apologise to and tell them the car had already been sold.

Anyway part of the ad said that I would be willing to part exchange the Camaro for a '55, this was a little bit of wishful thinking really because at the time I didn't think I had enough money to get a bad '55 let alone a good one. Anyway I had a phone call from a guy who was interested in the Camaro so I went through my usual reply 'sorry mate it's already sold', 'oh right' he says, 'well I’ve got a '55 for sale if you're interested?' We have a chat, he tells me more about the car, how much money he's looking for, I become more interested, sounds like it's just what I’m after, so I ask where he is so I can go and have a look, now this is the part that makes me think it was meant to be. It transpires that the guy lives less than 5 miles from my Grandmother, Uncle and his family and I’m due to go and see them that very weekend, how weird is that?

My Dad and I go to see my Grandmother, during our visit I make my excuses and leave them to do a bit of catching up, while I pop out to take a look at the '55. Now at this point I break one of my own rules about looking at cars that I really would like to own, I go alone, this means that my heart really is in charge, while my head gets shouted down, I think we've al been there! :D

I spend an hour or so chatting to the guy taking a look at the car, checking all of the things I can think of, I took it for a quick spin around the block, although it had no legal MOT/roadworthiness paperwork, the exhaust was leaking from the manifold/down pipe joint and the handling was a bit vague, but otherwise a good solid car which had been looked after and had some money spent on it at various times, so a deal was there to be had. We chatted and I said I really liked it, and after the Camaro the '55 was a car I had always wanted so we eventually came to a deal, I knocked the price down £1000 from his initial price, I bought it on my own, and I had to get a mate of mine to come down a couple of weeks later with a trailer to collect it.

I was over the moon to get such a good car at a very good price and all in all it turned out to be a very good buy. Very little needed doing to get it road legal and although she's been neglected of late due to a lack of funds, I’ve had her 6-7 years and I still love the old girl, and I'm looking forward to having the time to get back into working on her and having it back on the road.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Funny how things like that work out huh?

Similar story with me, I had a Camaro (an 81) and I came across a 56 Bel Air for sale nearby me. Turns out, the guy who owned the Bel Air had bought an 81 Camaro right after he graduated high school, and really wanted another. (Relive his youth I guess).

Next thing I knew, the 56 was on a trailer headed to my house.

I've been meaning to go visit some family in the UK.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Great story, thanks for sharing it with us. Mine didn't actually find me, I drove from south florida to iowa to get it! I just love a good road trip!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My ol lady fell in love with mine, I priced it to a guy for way more than I though it was worth and of course he took me up on it. Can't welch on a deal, so when the guy come up to get it the car was smoking a little and he backed out. Tickled me to death, my wife was throwing a fit because I was selling it. I just changed the tired old 427 out to a strong 350 4 bolt main and have her back on the road again. Have strict orders not to price the car again..lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bought mine off a deceased friends widow, sit over two years before I could get up enough nerve to ask about it. Several other people were after the car but she let me have it. I live on Pompey road in Eastern Ky. I was wondering where the name Pompey come from. I know Alexander had a general named Pompey and the Roman City that was destroyed by the volcano was called Pompei. A lot of folk of English decent here in this part of Ky. was there an English township called Pompey or how did you come by that handle if I may ask.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
coupe55 said:
....a lot of folk of English decent here in this part of Ky. was there an English township called Pompey or how did you come by that handle if I may ask.
What a great road to live on! :D

The word Pompey in my username refers to a nickname for the city of Portsmouth, but more specifically Portsmouth Football Club, of which I am a long time supporter. I live a few miles outside of the city but i'm a big fan of the team so my username gives an idea to my location and also my sports interests. Where the nickname originated is a subject of long time debate as not many people really know why it came to be. You are correct about the Roman General called Pompey, and there is also reference to a French battle ship of a similar name, however there is no conection that I know of with the city of Pompeii.

There are more details here --> http://www.pompeyweb.co.uk/misc.htm

·
Registered
72 Posts
Interesting website, thanks for the info! Doing a little geneology study on the Thacker name and some common place names in the area and was curious about the name Pompey. Of course our version of football is somewhat different than across the pond but your version is catching on fast here in the colonies. Here's to ol Pompey, the village and the club, may you have a winning season and keep the 55 on the left side of the road, I will try to stay on the right. At any rate keep the shinny side up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts