Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Ear Comfort Carnivore Dog breed

13 years.

That pic was on our first day together, seems like yesterday. Fast forward to today; we're both a bit older, slower, and well, at least she is more grey. She lost her sight two years ago and needs help getting up but will still eat like food is going out of style. My sister-in-law referred to her as the love of my life. As a single guy with no kids I guess she's right.

A few years back I adopted a male to keep her company, same breed. Most affectionate male dog I ever had. He's a big one that thinks he's a lap dog! He is still waiting his turn to ride in the '55.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Snout

No doubt some of you have a similar fur covered companions of your own. Let's see those pics!

Jeff

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
9,325 Posts
This little girl found me one sunny day and the vet guessed she was 10 months old. She's about 16 years old now. Going blind, deaf, dementia, rear legs take a while to start working after sleeping but once they are warmed up she gets around great, except when she bumps into things. She has started coming to our legs and poking her nose on us to smell who it is she sees the outline of, really cute actually. Still love her and will miss her when her time comes. She's part Boston Terrier and ? part pug.

·
Registered
144 Posts
We are now on day 4 of having our new lil golden retriever Millie. She ‘was’ the runt of the litter. She’s a lot bigger now since we brought her home lol. She joins our 14 yr old Weimaraner, Lucy and our kitty cat, Ol Tom Jefferson who is 4 now. Needless to say, Millie has brought some liveliness to the household lol.
Dog Wood Flooring Floor Dog breed

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My wife and I thought we were done being tied down by pets. Then my daughter came home from college and wanted a dog. She worked on me for months before I reluctantly agreed. Now she wants to buy a house and move out. I told her she can go, but that dog ain’t going nowhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dakota.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Companion dog

For me, best dog ever and I miss him terribly. He claimed to be a Golden Retriever, but I suspect he was rolling some Irish Setter as well. His first owner sent him to the pound at ~7 mos old because he chewed down a young cherry tree. A few weeks after bringing him home he ate...ATE...all but the rubber sole of one of my old combat boots. LOL! Since we were both fat, hairy, and smelly, we were pretty much kindred spirits and he was pretty much a shadow to me. He loved his family. He eventually developed a tumor which brought on Cushing's Syndrome, which gave him diabetes, and eventually led to blindness and deafness. When his hips finally quit on him I had to make the decision to put him down. Playing God sucks, and that day sucked. It still does.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
This is Kensi. She is my third Rottie. Kensi walks me 3 miles every morning at dawn, in 45 min. That's a good pace at 4 mph. This morning at dawn, we stepped outside the front door, it was raining hard, she turned around and went back inside. She didn't want anything to do with that. LOL. She loves road trips. At 115 lbs she is the reason for having a '57 wagon and not a two-door hardtop. The vet asked if I was pushing down on the scale at weigh in. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dakota.
View attachment 350264

For me, best dog ever and I miss him terribly. He claimed to be a Golden Retriever, but I suspect he was rolling some Irish Setter as well. His first owner sent him to the pound at ~7 mos old because he chewed down a young cherry tree. A few weeks after bringing him home he ate...ATE...all but the rubber sole of one of my old combat boots. LOL! Since we were both fat, hairy, and smelly, we were pretty much kindred spirits and he was pretty much a shadow to me. He loved his family. He eventually developed a tumor which brought on Cushing's Syndrome, which gave him diabetes, and eventually led to blindness and deafness. When his hips finally quit on him I had to make the decision to put him down. Playing God sucks, and that day sucked. It still does.

I read the following a few years ago and think it applies to both of us and from what I see a lot more of us than we can count: This is a snippet from her article in the LA Times.

"They say if you're lucky you'll get one really great dog in your life. Other dogs may do their jobs in their own unique and perfectly wonderful ways, but there will always be that dog that no dog will replace, the dog that will make you cry even when it's been gone for more years than it could ever have lived. I have now had that dog. That is at once the most beautiful and most awful thought in the world. " Meghan Daum [email protected]

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Dog Carnivore Shetland sheepdog Rough collie Fawn

Bear
Adopted at 6 wks; lost him to illness at 9 years.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collie Companion dog

Sonny
Adopted from a disinterested owner at 7 years; my companion until he reached 14.

The article JeffG referenced put me in mind of something:

There is one best place to bury a dog.
If you bury him in this spot, he will
come to you when you call - come to you
over the grim, dim frontier of death,
and down the well-remembered path,
and to your side again.

And though you call a dozen living
dogs to heel, they shall not growl at
him, nor resent his coming,
for he belongs there.
People may scoff at you, who see
no lightest blade of grass bent by his
footfall, who hear no whimper, people
who may never really have had a dog.

Smile at them, for you shall know
something that is hidden from them,
and which is well worth the knowing.
The one best place to bury a good
dog is in the heart of his master.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I was very attached to my second Rottie (Kaiser). Did not feel good about cremation when he passed from cancer. Dug a 4' deep grave and he rests in his favorite spot where he had a view of me in the house. The first day I adopted my present Rottie (Kensi), she went into the back yard. After a minute or two exploring the back yard, Kensi laid down on Kaiser's grave for at least a few minutes. Kensi has not laid down on Kaiser's grave since, and it has been over two years.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Sitka,
Got her at 9 months from a military family who couldn't keep her as her deep, alarming bark scared the neighbor lady. We had to put her down due to bone cancer at 7. Ironic as she would stay glued to Mandy's side thru chemo & radiation. They were meant for each other.
Dog Dog breed Collar Mammal Carnivore

This is Skagit, he is my boy. He is the dog I could never replace.
Vertebrate Hat Working animal Mammal Snout
Glove Wood Tableware Grass Gas
Picture frame Dog Black Dog breed Comfort
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fence Motor vehicle

And this is baby Madill. We got her about 5 weeks ago as Skagit is such a great boy that I wanted the next generation to learn from him. She is a pest and a lover for sure.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog
Dog White Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

·
Registered
544 Posts
We had our old dog, Misty, for almost 15 years. She was a dump off in the neighborhood and we couldn’t have asked for a better dog. Near as we can figure she was a Schipperke/Border Collie mix. Sorry, no pics available in my files. She was beautiful, all black with white on her chest.
Our current dog, Gypsy, is an 8 1/2 year old Australian Cattle Dog/Labrador Retriever mix and was a rescue. She is nothing like Misty, but is still a good dog. She is as silly as the day is long and makes us laugh every day.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Comfort

1 - 20 of 20 Posts