Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
50,511 Posts
There looks to be no reserve on them so who knows, they may go at a good price. And
But they are tools and car guy's just can't have enough tools !
:D Terry

·
Registered
38,696 Posts
Is $550 a good deal for those 2 Iwata guns, no cups? Have to wonder what else they might not come with. I'm not familiar with their model #s, but seems like a top of the line gun was around $400 a few years back (complete).

Auggie, I've had a Devillbiss Finishline II gun for quite a while. I think what they sell now is the Finishline III (unless they came out with something else recently).

My Finishline II came with 1.6 mm and 1.8 mm tips. Not small enough for color and clear. Most clear guns are 1.3 or 1.4 mm. But I bought the gun for spraying primer and it has worked well for that. One of the deals on the Finishline II is that the tips are plastic. But they've never given me a problem. I've shot some single stage with it, and while I wouldn't use it for an overall, it worked ok.

The only knock I have on the Finishline II is that there is a clear plastic seal/packing that goes on the back end of the tip, and it's very easy to have it hang up in your brush when you clean the gun, and if you don't know it came out on the brush, it's very easy to lose it. I never found a source that sold them separately, had to buy two small parts kits with lots of pieces I didn't need to get two new seals.

I think the Finishline III has metal tips; I don't know if the seal behind the tip is the same design or not.

The price of the Finishline III is less than the II. I don't know if that means they made some quality compromises or not. They do have smaller tips too.

I'm pretty sure you'll find it ok for primer.

I have a Sharpe Platinum for color/clear. It's been discontinued for a few years now. It is a miserly gun on airflow, and doesn't put out as much paint as other higher end guns. In a way good for a novice like me, you can't paint too fast with it. I bought it when I had an allegedly 5hp/60 gallon compressor, which was somewhat light on air volume. Since then I've stepped up on the compressor. The Platinum allegedly had the best atomization for the airflow required. And it actually works very well for me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That wasn't a bad deal. Although his info was incorrect. The LPH 400 Extreme is used for metalic base coats as he says, and yes it works perfectly for both solvant and water base.

The LPH 400 with the chrome cap is not used for primer or sealer, it is a clearcoat air cap.

The only difference in the two guns is the air cap. It would be much cheaper to buy the one gun, then buy the second air cap. Brand new the guns are around $300 and change, the second air cap runs around $100.

They are great guns.

Glenn

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Is $550 a good deal for those 2 Iwata guns, no cups? Have to wonder what else they might not come with. I'm not familiar with their model #s, but seems like a top of the line gun was around $400 a few years back (complete).

Auggie, I've had a Devillbiss Finishline II gun for quite a while. I think what they sell now is the Finishline III (unless they came out with something else recently).

My Finishline II came with 1.6 mm and 1.8 mm tips. Not small enough for color and clear. Most clear guns are 1.3 or 1.4 mm. But I bought the gun for spraying primer and it has worked well for that. One of the deals on the Finishline II is that the tips are plastic. But they've never given me a problem. I've shot some single stage with it, and while I wouldn't use it for an overall, it worked ok.

The only knock I have on the Finishline II is that there is a clear plastic seal/packing that goes on the back end of the tip, and it's very easy to have it hang up in your brush when you clean the gun, and if you don't know it came out on the brush, it's very easy to lose it. I never found a source that sold them separately, had to buy two small parts kits with lots of pieces I didn't need to get two new seals.

I think the Finishline III has metal tips; I don't know if the seal behind the tip is the same design or not.

The price of the Finishline III is less than the II. I don't know if that means they made some quality compromises or not. They do have smaller tips too.

I'm pretty sure you'll find it ok for primer.

I have a Sharpe Platinum for color/clear. It's been discontinued for a few years now. It is a miserly gun on airflow, and doesn't put out as much paint as other higher end guns. In a way good for a novice like me, you can't paint too fast with it. I bought it when I had an allegedly 5hp/60 gallon compressor, which was somewhat light on air volume. Since then I've stepped up on the compressor. The Platinum allegedly had the best atomization for the airflow required. And it actually works very well for me.
Thanks Rick, I'm looking for a primer gun. But I won't even be looking for a paint gun, as I'm way to chicken to waist paint.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks Rick, I'm looking for a primer gun. But I won't even be looking for a paint gun, as I'm way to chicken to waist paint.
Has anyone on here tried the new Accuspray Primer gun? 3M owns Accuspray now. This is actually a plastic gun body with a clear plastic replaceable head.
The gun new runs under $150, it come with one head. The replacements come 4 to a box for $20. The idea is once you start to get a bad pattern or the head wears out you can just pop it off and snap on a new one. Just like that you have a new spray gun.

3M gave me one as a demo, and I have to say I love it!

Follow the links below to check it out.

Glenn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3M-A...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item519323e58a

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3M-A...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item45f51db74c

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.