Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering if it's an acceptable practice to jack up the rear of the car by putting the hydraulic jack under the differential and lifting the whole back end up until a jack stand will fit under each axle.?
Seems to me like it would put a lot of stress on the center section..
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I have always done it that way and never thought about it. That is a long way to put that much weight on the axles.
Jim

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Hi,
I was wondering if it's an acceptable practice to jack up the rear of the car by putting the hydraulic jack under the differential and lifting the whole back end up until a jack stand will fit under each axle.?
Seems to me like it would put a lot of stress on the center section..
Thanks
Mike
Thats how I have always done it, no problems.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Thats how I've always done it also. Unless you have a hoist... how else are you going to do it???

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Yep, same here. Lift the whole back end at once, slide in a couple stands and let 'er down. When I was doing my rear suspension/mini tubs, I'd have the stands under the frame and then lift and set them under the axles to check clearances.
I do the same with the front under the center X member.
But I do it first if I'm lifting the whole car.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,747 Posts
Mike.....Just about everyone does it that way.....However, since you are lifting the entiere rear, two precautionary measures come to mind....Be sure the jack is rated for 3 ton....Also, since you are raising both rear wheels, be sure to chock the front wheels to prevent the car from rolling.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok,
This is my first Tri 5 and it's a little heavier then I'm use too.
I did it this way with my 66/63 Nova's, and an old MG.
Thanks ALL for your input, now I won't dream of breaking my rear in half....
Keep America Working

·
Registered
2,868 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Where does everyone lift the front from?
If I'm lifting the whole front, I put the jack under the crossmember, if just lifting one side I put it under the A arm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts