Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Y'all,

Well for the past two weeks and three years, my '55 has been sitting in Paint Prison. The work done on it has been good, but progress has been slow to say the least. My car has always taken a back seat to everthing else that comes into the shop. My patience finally just wore plum out. Enough sleepness nights wondering if I'll ever get my car back. It's been so frustrating that I haven't even wanted to log onto this sight anymore, just because it makes me mad I don't have my car.

So today I loaded up the trailer and went and picked her up. It took both of us all morning to dig through the shop and find all my dust-covered parts. The car is not quite finished yet, but the guy hasn't worked on it in almost eight months. I've already paid him off and he's only working on cars that bring in more money. I'll just have to finish buffing it out, and finish putting it back together myself.

If you look close, you can already see her starting to grin a little bit. Or maybe that's just my reflection.

Cheers Y'all,
Joe
:gba:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Yea, I see a little smile on her face. Once you pay there is no rush to get to you. Must always hold some of the money. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Administrator
49,501 Posts
Lesson number one, never pay all the money until the work is finished. Having said that, now get after it and finish it to suit you. I`m ready to see it in person.
Terry

·
Administrator
66,170 Posts
Now that it back in your hands theres no excuse :)

Finnish her off and start enjoying the time you`ve missed being apart :tu

·
Registered
67,768 Posts
she does look at home joe, exciting times ahead. :tu

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Looks very good. Not ready for prime time shows but I would drive that car anywhere. Good for folks to see it as it is. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

Thanks guys, as always, for your comments and encouragement. Y'all are the best!
:tu

And yeah, I know as well as anybody that you don't pay anybody first. But after a big initial down payment, I just kind of kept him going with periodic milestone payments. I actually ended up giving him a little more than he asked for because he was going through incredible detail, and doing more than I originally asked him to do.

Bottom line is, did I get $6K worth of work out of him? I'd have to say yes.

https://www.facebook.com/joe.drewet...a.106333946095686.9652.100001572439367&type=3

I don't think he was really out to rip me off, I just think he tries to take on too much. He got himself into a financial bind (he even had to sell his own '55) and was pretty much forced to put me on hold to take on new work. But that didn't work for me. There's a lot I can be doing besides watching it sit there covered in dust.

@Tismy55 - No it was not Mike, it was Steve Arredondo in Benbrook. I think he felt bad about keeping it so long. In fact while we were loading it up, he even sent his wife & daughter to Walmart to buy me a new battery.

He says to check back with him in September, but I'm going to have a pretty hard time ever letting this car out of my sight again!

And lastly, can I get an official Tri-Five approval on that new shop I built while I was waiting???

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
It seems that all the painters I have ever dealt with are the same. They take on too much work and never actually finish anything on or even near on time. My problem is, it's the one thing I can't do my self both due to lack of ability and a place to do it in. I'm getting ready to start a new build and am already getting worried about the paint and I'm probably a year away from needing it.

That said I really like the color combination you picked.

Alan

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Very nice shop. Matches the car. The car looks really good also. To bad you had to wait 3 years, but I guess thats water under the bridge. Now that you have it back, the future is bright. Looking forward to some new updates now that your back on board.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Shop approval? I have trifive shop envy!

With the car so close to finished its hard to figure why your painter couldn't get it done, I think you made the right choice by picking it up. Now you can break out the buffer and get that new shop dirty:anim_25:

·
Administrator
49,501 Posts
And lastly, can I get an official Tri-Five approval on that new shop I built while I was waiting???
Heck yeah you get the approval. Very nice shop.:tu
Terry

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So Tuesday I had another painter come out to the house to look at my car and tell me what it will take to finish out the paint. The first thing he said was "This car is full of overspray. He didn't even bother to cover it before he painted other cars around it".

Just great...

After he pointed out a veritable plethora of other mistakes and sanding techniques, to add to the chips and scratches that it came home with, I agreed to let him finish it out. He will remove all the stainless (which was reduced to driver quality by Mr Wannabe's compound buffer), then cross-sand the whole car, touch up paint chips, spray four coats of clear coat, then replace all the trim.

He is in the process of moving his shop to a larger one, so he is still a few weeks away from having his new shop set up. No problem, I still have plenty to work on. Just glad to know that I now have a plan forward to finally finish out my paint.

I pray that this trip to Paint Prison will be the last. :p3:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts