Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all & Happy fathers Day!!
Hey, My wife's pick up developed a small leak on the top corner of her radiator the other day. It looks like an old repair and is easy to get at. My question is, rather than take to a rad shop am i able to use a product such as JB Weld to repair this small leak? Or, is there somthing else i can use? Any suggestions or a step by step process to fix would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
I successfully repaired a pin hole leak in a 87 Chevy pickup aluminum radiator with great success. I cleaned the area good, mixed the JB Weld and dabbed a little on and around the leak...it was still leak free when I sold the truck years later. And I continued to use the stock 14lb radiator cap.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Thanks so much to all who responded. I found a product at our local hardware store called 'Tech-Steel' which is a epoxy putty. It is used for a large variety of metal repairs and will also set up in damp areas. Here is what thier web site say's about the product.................

ONE PRODUCT DOES IT ALL
STEEL HARD IN 15 MINUTES!
FULL CURE 1 HOUR!

Will begin to harden in 10 to 15 minutes, forming a tenacious bond. Can be drilled, tapped, filed, machined, sawed, carved, sanded, stained, or painted in 1 hour.

Permanently Adheres to: Steel, Aluminum, Wood, Cast Iron, PVC, ABS, Bronze, Concrete, Plastic, Fibreglass, Ceramics, Brass & Much More!!!

500° Temperature Resistant
3 Year Shelf Life
Sets Up Under Water
Impervious to Chemicals

**I kneeded a small piece about 1 inch long and formed it around the leak, waited to dry and sprayed some flat black paint on the repair took her for a long drive and no more leak! I highly recommend the product and it was only around 8 bucks for a stick about 1/2" in diameter x 4 inches long, so i have lots left with a long shelf life in case i need to make other repairs. Might even keep in glove box for emergency repairs that may come along on the road.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used JB Weld on my aluminum radiator when I had a plastic fan shroud come loose and when the fan broke it into pieces, it poked 2 holes in the radiator. I didn't know exactly what to do about it since I had drove the car to work that day. I got some JB Quick and mixed it up and put it on and it has been on there for about 4 years now and has never given a single drip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.