Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently contacted them for a quote to do #2 rams horn exhaust manifolds and 2 sections of my NOS heat riser. The quote for the coating was
550.00 and 50.00 to blast them clean. I was shocked.......I didn't ask to have them CHROME PLATED.

Anyone have a real good source for this type coating they are happy with. I had some done here in Wisconsin some years back and the result
was worse than me blasting and painting them with high temp cast iron paint.

Mikey

After coating

After one hour engine run time!

·
Premium Member
14,055 Posts
Mikey, I would invest in the cerakote stuff if I were you.

Reactions: BO185

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

This picture was taken this morning and the exhaust manifold was painted in 1987. 34 years and 33,000 miles. This car has been on several long trips on really hot days. The product is Eastwood high temperature stainless steel coating. I have painted several manifolds with this paint and have had great results every time. I thoroughly sandblast the manifolds then apply this paint with a brush. That's right, the instructions say to brush it on. As the paint dries the brush marks disappear. I'm not sure Eastwood still sells this, but it's a great product!

·
10,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, that is just the kind of information I am looking for. Keep your positive reviews coming. I what to have this done on my manifolds, just a matter of time and place. I have no problem
shipping for quality work.

Donovan stopped by today, and he has had some headers done. he will do some checking with that company as well.

Mikey

·
10,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This picture was taken this morning and the exhaust manifold was painted in 1987. 34 years and 33,000 miles. This car has been on several long trips on really hot days. The product is Eastwood high temperature stainless steel coating. I have painted several manifolds with this paint and have had great results every time. I thoroughly sandblast the manifolds then apply this paint with a brush. That's right, the instructions say to brush it on. As the paint dries the brush marks disappear. I'm not sure Eastwood still sells this, but it's a great product!

I think this product is one that Bill Hirsch developed and may still sell. I have used it also.

Mikey

·
Registered
123 Posts
that's a little high, I think mine was just over 300 for ceramic coating. And mine were already sandblasted. All they had to do was cleaning

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,555 Posts
I've used the Eastwood Stainless Steel coating as suggested by Farmboy for the last 20 yrs, and it's worked very well. Beadblast and clean the manifolds, then brush on and let cure... certainly more 'cost effective' means of preventing rust than those high dollar ceramic coatings (and my son in law had a pair of headers ceramic coated locally, which came off after one time of getting hot.. PS> whatever you use it's probably a good idea to 'gradually' heat treat them, like we used to do after painting headers.. ie. Don't let them get REALLY hot the first time; build up the heat gradually to a full cure point.

·
Premium Member
11,705 Posts
There must be an alternative to jet hot. I contacted them earlier this year to see if I could get my headers coated. My headers are two pieces, each piece has just two tubes. The price was the same price as V8 headers. They said that they charge the same, two tubes, four tubes no matter, all the same charge. I took a pass. I ended up painting mine with VHT high temp paint. Yea, they blistered as soon as I got the motor started.

·
10,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been corresponding with Tammi about this. The place Lukie posted a link to. So far, her quote is less than half of what JET Hot wanted. She is even including a Thermal 1800 degree inside coat that
will seal the inside and help route the exhaust and heat out faster. I think I will send them to her after I get back from Nationals.

Mikey

Reactions: 58-GMC and Lukie

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,555 Posts
Probably 30 yrs ago, I contacted Jet Hot to see about having a set of Chevy small block headers (for my '69 Z28) Jethot coated. I don't recall the exact price quoted, but it was HIGHER to coat headers I supplied than to SELL me a new set of headers already coated. I bought their 'jethot' headers! :) I think their main issue was having to clean/prep a set of headers supplied by the customer, not knowing their condition!

·
10,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had them do the 2 manifolds on my 55 convertible and the heat riser I took apart. All were NOS. Mind you it was 30 plus years ago. The cost was 250.00 Now the price is 600.00

Mikey

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Jet Hot is not cheap but I have a set of headers they did for me over 20 years ago and they still look like new. Is the place you are looking at have any of their stuff that has been out in service for that length of time ? As much of a perfectionist as you are Mikey I would hate for something like this to upset the apple cart. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
123 Posts
Probably 30 yrs ago, I contacted Jet Hot to see about having a set of Chevy small block headers (for my '69 Z28) Jethot coated. I don't recall the exact price quoted, but it was HIGHER to coat headers I supplied than to SELL me a new set of headers already coated. I bought their 'jethot' headers! :) I think their main issue was having to clean/prep a set of headers supplied by the customer, not knowing their condition!
I faced this too with the last set I done. I chose to "fit" my new headers before I sent them to be coated. I dont know how you can message the pipes after they are coated? I also mill the manifold flanges flat so I never need gaskets again.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
This probably won't be your style but may work for others. I took my manifolds and rubbed anti-seize on them. Yes it can be messy if your messy. Just rub it in with a rag.
Run the engine and let it get hot. Let it get cool and rub them again. Good for about two years and you can touch it up if needed. It's cheep and looks great to me. I will get a picture in a minute.
Todd

1 - 20 of 33 Posts