Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[URL="http://
[/URL]

If they look like this now before being used and not being exposed to heat and moisture, how do you think they will look in 2-3 years from now?

Just got my fenderwell Hookers back from Jet Hot and I am really dissapointed in their work,, they really look like chit and look like a child did them for the first time, anyone else have any questionable workmanship come from J-H lately?

I used them because 9 years ago I had a set of headers done by them for my 91 ZR-1, they came back looking like they should have been on display they looked so good, not this time though.

Even missed spots between the tubes leading to the collector, you can see brown in that area, obviously rust that was not blasted off as they were supposed to do.

When I sent them off, they had been wrapped with header heat wrap and they looked good once the wrap was removed, was a slight bit of surface scale or redidual paint that seemed to come right off if you scraped it lightly, was not pitted was more like patches of paint that did not burn off in spots. Same area once coated you can see these little scale bumps that were obviously not blasted off and were coated over, I'll bet they blister within weeks as chitty as they look. I spent the extra money to do what they call the 1,800 degree coating in Sterling, I think I got the Earl Schieb special of the Ceramic Coatings world.

Parts of the header had been polished or buffed after being coated, other areas were not touched with a polisher.

No wonder the economy is so tanked right now with this kind of work being put out, I would be ashamed to send something like this to a customer dot period!

Sorry for the rant folks but this is downright thievery to charge folks for inferion workmanship like this.

Gibby

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Yikes! Now I'm worried, I just sent the custom headers for my Anglia off to Jet Hot...I used J-H in the past on my FIA Cobra's exposed exhaust and they did a fantastic job, now this?..
Have you tried calling them about your sitituation? I don't know if ceramic coating can be stripped?, ship them back at their expense and strip/refinish if it can or compensate you, but they should make it right by you. Word of mouth can really hurt a company.

Maybe the guy who did your job had "brown bottle Monday":)just kidding, I sure would try everything I could to resolve the issue in your favor.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
I would call and talk to them about getting them redone at their expense. Sounds like they were not prepped correctly. I've always heard they are a good company, and if they are, they should take care of this. The coating can definitely be removed and reapplied. They may not even have to do the whole part to fix it.

Remember too that if you paid by credit card you can start a procedure to get your money back if it comes to that.

I have a complete exhaust system less the headers that I have almost ready to send to them, so I'd sure like to hear how they handle this.

A little OT, if Jet Hot is not the place to get this done, does anyone know of a place that does this type of coating in Houston, or somewhere in Texas?

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Jet Hot has coated 3 sets of headers for me over the last 10 years and the quality and service was industry leading..did you call them and express your disappointment in the job..they have always had a first class guaranty .

68,758 Posts
give them a call gibby and let us know what happans. :anim_25:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I must add here, that I had some very bad results from Jet-Hot on a set of headers (NEW) I sent to them for a 34 Ford Coupe I built. What they sent me back was bad no other way to say it. I called them explaned the problem, which they all but told me could not happen, I did send them back to them, I paid the shipping, and the next day I got a very nice phone call. They expressed horror that this could have happened and had no explanation for it. The apology was sincere I believe, the reimbursed me complettly for the shipping after apologizing for that as well and then much to my surprise they offered to cover any installation cost. Since I hadn't installed them we were good to go. The return them to me ( Overnight Air) and I had them back in less than a week.

Give them a call, I think you may be surprised at the results. At least I hope so.....

Roland

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't talked to them yet since I didn't get the delivery them until 5.30 Friday evening, they had already closed at that point. As I stated I used them several years before with excellent or outstanding results.

I sure hope they decide to stand behind their work and what ticks me off is where is their quality control and why would they ship a product out without going through a series of QC checks!

Needed them back for a show next weekend so I have a choice, miss the show which I've already paid for hotel and made plans with family members or do I install them and send them back after the show?

I've got 5 days from tomorrow to see which way I want to go with these, first I'll talk to J-H and see where they are with my issues.

I'll keep you folks informed and let you know what they decide to do.

The visable brown rust betweem the tubes in the collector area should have been detected before they left the plant, somebodys obviously sleeping on the job or just jacking off and getting paid for it!

I had the Extreme Sterling done (cost extra), anybody happen to know the difference between this and standard Sterling coatings other then the suppossed temperature handeling capabilities?

When I initially called and got a quote for the ceramic coating, after telling the guy I had a set of Hooker small block Fenderwell headers for a 55 Chevy, he sent me a quote for big block super comp Hooker headers on the invoice, I called and had to explain that the primary tube size was 1 5/8 and not 2", I had to tell them they had 3" collectors and not 3 1/2" collectors, they then changed the quote and price and sent me a revised quote.

Maybe this was a sign that I ignored and by doing so it came back to bite me. I don't think the plant I sent these to has been in operation very long, this one is in Whitsett NC, maybe new help, who the **** knows!

Thanks folks,

Gibby

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally was able to get a hold of someone @ J-H after 7 attemps, first 4 were transferred to God knows where, last 3 were hang ups from the receptionist.

Receptionist wanted to know how I was able to leave a voice message to the CEO of that particular plant, I asked for someone high up in charge and was transferred to the CEO whom did not answer his phone nor did he call back, receptionist wanted to know who transferred me to him because he is not supposed to be involved in these matters, I couldn't recall if if was she or someone else who transferred me but she said she didn't want to call me a lier but it wasn't her, Who gives a rats azz, all I want is what I paid for and have my chit right.

Customer service @ the NC plant absolutley SUX!

After a few more calls I got a warranty rep and she told me how rough my headers were when they arrived, I had to correct her as my car had never been exposed to any bad weather and always garaged and I personally pulled the heat wrap off before I sent them in to be redone.

She claims the zebra effect or different shades are due to my headers and not their process, she also asked if the rust would somehow wipe off with a rag, I proceeded to tell her if I see rust, both the header prep and final coating has obviously been done incorrectly and no I was not going to attempt to scale away any rust.

She is giving me one month to send them back and they will eat shipping both ways, after that, its my dime to send them.

I have never dealt with such a incompentent company in all of my life, seems like nobody @ Jet-Hot knows what the **** is gouing on or gives a rats azz either

They will never, never get any more of my business, I'd just assume throw money up in the air on a windy day then to give it to Butt Munchers with attitudes and they should have resolved this matter with one phone call not a whole days worth!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I sent my headers to the AZ facility...cheaper shipping than to the next closest in OK. I sure hope that the problems you are having aren't companywide. I think the AZ facility is fairly new also because when I had my Cobras exhaust done I had to ship them to the OK plant that was about 10 years ago or so and they did a great job then.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Well bottom line is they are going to corect he problm it sounds like. Hope 2nd time is a charm for ys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a set of fenderwell headers that were Jet Hot coated and hazed due to breaking in a cam (yea I know your not supposed to due that with coated headers but they were looking rough at that point anyways). After the cam break in, I pulled the headers off, scuffed them with a green 3M pad, cleaned them up with brake cleaner, and sprayed them with VHT header paint. After following the instructions on the VHT can to cure the paint, the headers look killer 3 years later. It seems the insulating properties of thermo coating does reduce the exterior temp of the tube.

Just a heads up on a possible what to do next when your coated headers begin to rust or the finish dulls.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a set of fenderwell headers that were Jet Hot coated and hazed due to breaking in a cam (yea I know your not supposed to due that with coated headers but they were looking rough at that point anyways). After the cam break in, I pulled the headers off, scuffed them with a green 3M pad, cleaned them up with brake cleaner, and sprayed them with VHT header paint. After following the instructions on the VHT can to cure the paint, the headers look killer 3 years later. It seems the insulating properties of thermo coating does reduce the exterior temp of the tube.

Just a heads up on a possible what to do next when your coated headers begin to rust or the finish dulls.
Mine were just taken out of the box they were shipped in when I took pics of Jet-Hots fabulous work in the opening thread. I had to send them to AZ to be redone since the NC facility is either moving or shutting down, not sure which and according to the person I spoke with, they are not going to strip them down to bare metal, they are somehow going to scuff them and re-apply the coating, IMHO, its a short cut method to get me off their azz and I'm not expecting them to be much better the second time around.

Gibby

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I'd make sure they know that you are posting their responses to your problem on the internet. I'd also ask to speak to someone who's paycheck might be affected by a drop in sales!
Many times, the receptionist couldn't care less about the customers because the complaints don't make a dimes worth of difference in her pay. When you talk to someone who's job depends on repeat business - like the CEO - you might get something done.
Good luck, and be tough

·
Registered
751 Posts
I had a set done in OK about 10 yrs ago also. They were well used. They came back better than I expected. No wonder the NC plant is shuttingn down with that kind of workmanship. I hope they square away your headers because that is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE:

The finished headers arrived and they look better then the did last time the did them. Still not up to par as I would think a company as big as Jet-Hot should put out. They did not strip them down, the busted the sheen off of them and applied more ceramic coating on em over top of what was already theye, (I'm sure it was to save money and time on their part).

In some places they have runs and sags from blowing too much material on them but I guess thats better then not enough. They are the same color this time without "zebra" stripes, a good thing.

For the time I wasted between the first time I sent them out until the time I got them back, and with still haveing issues, I've invested waaay to much time dealing with Jet-hot and listening to their bullchit, they are not very friendly when you call them and tell them you have a problem with what they did.

To me, this is just plain wrong and I will not recommend J-H to anyone in the future for ceramic coating needs period.

Their workmanship has gone downhill and their main interest seems to be making the all mighty buck and not making people happy and not doing a superior job which will draw customers away from using them.

If they spent more time on quality control and less on advertising, they would be headed back in the direction they were once in.

Would I use them again: NO Friggin Way!

Gibby

·
Registered
256 Posts
Coating used headers will never be perfect, and heat wrap only makes the job harder. The wrap holds in moisture which causes rust, which can never be bead blasted from between the tubes, and there is just no way to get the coating into those tight spots either. Clearances just too tight. Coatings will not stop rust anyway, once it has started. Not defending anyone here, just stating facts.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
My headers for the Anglia arrived late yesterday. I just had the time to open up one of them this morning. Both headers were completely bubble wrapped and repacked in the box I used to send them and I must say the finish seems flawless on the one I opened...they were new though no rust.
So I'm pleased with the Jet-Hot quality and service...Gibby's issues with his headers and J-H had me concerned.
It must be the management or something at the plant Gibby used because the AZ plant did a fine job on mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts