Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a Emission Test Station in California, I had a gentleman com in with a 1983 Oldsmobile 98 Brougham Regencey. To make a long story short, it failed the Emissions test. He is threatening to Junk this car! I almost fell out of my chair and wanted to grab him by the scruff the neck and say "The heck you will!" This car was in immaculate shape. Still had a working A-Trak in it, interior was untouched, no damage to the dash.

I know Oldsmobile is no longer, but this car deserves a better owner. This car had California Historical Plates on it and somebody went through alot of trouble to get those. Id buy it. Shame on you for junking an Oldsmobile.

Just a note: Yes i know its his car, and he can do what he wants with it, but what a waste of a perfectly good car. Its like saying Im junking my Trifive because I cant get it to run right.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Is homicide legal in California? Just saying:)

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
I can't think of many '83 cars that I'd like to have. Wasn't a real good era for cars! :sign0020:

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
What's the requirement for the emission tests in Cal. Do they have a year cut off? I hated when we had that test here in MI. Was just a money grab, then the state decided it was no longer needed. But if I remember right historic cars were exempt.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
emissions

So if it failed the smog test what options does he have?? The smog laws here are very confusing. I actually had a test station refuse to run an emissions test on my 76 Camaro as they said it wouldn,t pass anyway!!Took it to another test station, it passed easily,,Dick

·
Registered
172 Posts
And at the end of the day, it's still an 83 Oldsmobile. Nothing special.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I can't think of many '83 cars that I'd like to have. Wasn't a real good era for cars! :sign0020:
I had an 83 Caprice Classic that was one of the best Automobiles I have ever owned had over 200,000 on it when I upgraded to an 87 Caprice Classic which was another awsome vehicle, Just saying!!! Id rather have an 83 Olds than anything made by Dodge or Ford new or old, Glad I dont live in CA 83's are exempt from smog testing here in NY

·
Premium Member
15,880 Posts
I had an 83 Caprice Classic that was one of the best Automobiles I have ever owned had over 200,000 on it when I upgraded to an 87 Caprice Classic which was another awsome vehicle, Just saying!!!
I too have had several 80's vintage Caprices and have gotten 200K plus out of every one of them, 300K+ on my 86 Estate wagon. My last Caprice, An 88 that I retired with 256K on it ran great but it was getting too rusty to pass inspection. My current 88 Caprice is just a baby with 38,000 miles on it and I would not sell it for any reason. :)

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
'83 Hosemobile.

Two words. Feedback carburetor.

I pulled my hair out trying to make those darn things right.

I'd rather save a '70 W30.

·
Premium Member
15,880 Posts
Two words. Feedback carburetor.

I pulled my hair out trying to make those darn things right.

I'd rather save a '70 W30.
All of the 80's vintage Caprices I have had were equipped with the feedback quadrajet carbs and other than a bad TPS on most of them I did a rebuild on a couple of them while I had them apart. Keep in mind I got 200K plus out of every one of them. My last 88 long trip was @ 245K miles it got 27 MPG at 75 on the highway. My current 88 gets 28 MPG @ 75 but I have not tuned it yet or added dual exhaust. There is nothing like cruising down the highway feeling like you are sitting on your living room couch.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've got a 63 Olds that I can't bring myself to get rid of! It is my daily which I got rid of a 2005 Xterra to buy. I haven't looked back since buying it. It was the best move I ever made. That engine runs like a Singer seeing machine although it gets horrible gas mileage!

·
Registered
105 Posts
What is this guys phone#? I would buy it off him quicker than a heartbeat! Along with the tri-five cars, the 1980's gm full sized box cars are my personal favorite :). I own a 1989 Chevy Caprice Classic Brougham in great shape with TBI and you couldn't believe how many times people ask me if its for sale :sign0020:

But the one nice thing about living in Iowa is that it is one of the few places where there are no emission test or vehicle inspections. You just go to the courthouse every year and get you license plate sticker. You never have to worry about this problem :laugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts