Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last friday I purchased a 68 Camaro that had been in dry storage for over 20 years. Before that time, the car had been in California. The floors, trunk, and frame rails are very solid. The sheetmetal is as well. A couple of small dents and maybe a little bondo, but overall good shape.

The interior is all there, but needs to be replaced. It has the 250/powerglide drivetrain. It hadn't been started in 2-3 years and not drove in over 20. Today we got the engine started and it actually runs pretty good. It does smoke a little. The previous owner said he poured tranny fluid down the carb on occasion to keep it lubed up. Maybe after more running the smoking will stop.

The transmission works good as well. I was concerned about its condition. It seems everything works well, except the brakes. One of the wheel cylinders is shot. I went ahead and ordered all new brake components, no way i'm going to trust the old parts.

Overall the car is very solid and in good working order. I would say I scored well with the $4000 price I paid. That also included a bunch of extra parts.

I'll leave the stock drivetrain if they are going to be trouble free. I have my big block 57 if I have the need for speed.

Thanks for your time,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I can't wait to get started on it. One thing I did notice, most of the reproduction parts are cheaper for a Camaro versus a tri five. Of course the Camaro doesn't have all the chrome and has more plastic parts.

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.