Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Sean Marek and I am from New Jersey. I just bought the car of my dreams, a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air 4 door hardtop! She has a 235 straight 6 and a 2 speed powerglide. In June I got her running for the first time in a decade and a week ago I was able to drive it out of the place it was sitting since 1994! It has a whole list of problems, but that doesn’t scare me! I’m in love with this car! It has a lot of rust though. Floor pans are trash, trunk lid is rotted out, rockers are almost gone, passenger side floor is non existent, and it also has a whole bunch of electrical issues. If anybody has any tips, they would be greatly appreciated! I have a more detailed journey on the Facebook group Chevy bel air 55-57. Thanks for reading!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,857 Posts
Welcome to the site Sean....Good to have you aboard :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
That car sure put a smile on your face. I love the 57 four door hardtop. It is good to see a young person in here with all us old farts. You can learn a lot from the guys here and they are glad to share. Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Glad you've joined us.
Have fun browsing the site.

Most of the problem areas you list with your car can be fixed with money and sweat as
there are lots of new reproduction sheet metal parts that can be bought for these old cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Congradulations on your 57 4r hardtop. I can tell youre one happy youngman. great to see the shoebox bug is alive and well into the next generation...I also own a 4 door hardtop and have had many great times with it. Best advice I have is the floor and body mounts are key to the structural integrity of this model. With that said I would be looking at the condition of the B pillar as the rear doors are dependant upon the integrity of it. If the pillars are still holding your rear door gaps true youre in a better starting point than I was. This was the weak point in mine and I repaired it .
Now they have so many more options for the 4drht floors so yours can look like new. Have fun and plug along on your dream car young man.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi Sean, and welcome to the forum. You will find an ocean of information here, and answers to all your questions. Cool car you have there. It will bring a lot of joy and possibly a few headaches as well.
Good luck with the build, keep us posted.
//Car1

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
That’s awesome 😎 I’m happy for ya!

Welcome to The tri five family, just keep gas in her and check that oil. Always enjoyed the 4-dr-hrdtp:)

·
Registered
66,019 Posts
hi Sean and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. very neat to see a young guy into these great cars. congrats, have fun with that cool 57. my sig says what I would do.

Reactions: Teenwitha57chev

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Sean,
Welcome, Your 57 sounds like my 55 when I started to restore it, though I bought it in 1965 when I was 20.
Get a catalog from East Coast Chevy in Doylestown PA, not too far from you and make a list of needs, and save up..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sean,
Welcome, Your 57 sounds like my 55 when I started to restore it, though I bought it in 1965 when I was 20.
Get a catalog from East Coast Chevy in Doylestown PA, not too far from you and make a list of needs, and save up..
I live maybe 40 mins away from Doylestown so I’ll have to check it out!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome Sean. Your story is very similar to mine. I had so much fun and learned so much about cars by restoring my '57 Chevy in High School, that I'm doing it all over again with my son now that he just started driving. My recommendation would be to focus on the brake system first - if it doesn't look great or doesn't start, that's an inconvenience. If you are motoring down the road and can't stop, that is a much, much bigger problem. Enjoy the journey. Regards, Mike

1 - 20 of 35 Posts