Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just regestered, so I figure i'll go ahead and say HI and give a little background.

I'm not a tri-five owner yet, just doing some research for now before I buy one. I'm looking at getting one in the next 6-8 months or so. I'm not set on which year yet, when the time comes i'll settle for whatever shows up. I have a couple other projects I need to finish first so I don't get in too much trouble with "The Boss".

My plans are to buy a junker, than do a complete frame-off restoration/mod. I feel bad taking a decent or good car, and cutting it all to peices and modding it, so i'd rather start with a hopeless car that no one will ever want since there won't be much original when i'm done anyways. The goal is a very nice driver that looks original from the outside with minor custom touches. The drivetrain will be modern fuel injection/overdrive automatic. I haven't decided yet, but I really want to do a 383 LT1 or a 383 TPI. The interior will be simple but have all new modern stuff. For the chassis I plan on doing a Mustang II front suspension with power steering, a 4-link Ford rear end, and air bags all around.

Quick Bio: I'm originally from Detroit, but I haven't lived there in 10 years. I've always been into cars and working on them. I've done everything from installing a turbo and modifying a transaxle in a 12 second 2001 Toyota Spyder to building and installing a 420HP SBC in a '65 Chevelle and many more projects. I'm really not into the foregin stuff myself, but it pays well :D .

My latest car that i'm almost done with is a '87 RX7 that I put a chevy 350/200-4R into. It's been on the street a couple months, i'm just sorting out a few minor issues right now. It's a low buck daily driver project so it's nothing spectacular, around 280-300HP. But in a 2600lb car it really moves.

My next project is a '85 Cutlass that i'm building into a street/strip car. The engine is a 1970 350R block with around $2000 in aftermarket goodies. I used to have the engine in a '78 cutlass and it had 400hp then. Now I have a port injection nitrous setup on it that can flow up to an additional 500HP. I'm gonna start at 100 shot and tune it up untill I hit 10's in the 1/4 (or blow up trying). I just shortened a Ford 8.8 axle last week for it, it should be good up to about 600HP before it blows.

Here's some links to the two car's I mentioned. I did 100% of the work myself, they guys in the pictures are the owners, so I made them pose to impress their friends .

http://www.angelfire.com/crazy4/spyder/

http://www.angelfire.com/crazy2/65chevelle/

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Welcome to the site. You should be able to find the type of car to start with that you want. I see them on e-bay all the time. Keep an eye in the auction forum.
Terry

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I like your enthusiasm -- start with a junker and who knows what you'll end up with, but whatever it is, it's bound to be nice! Good luck and welcome to the site.

With the experience you have, I'm sure you'll be a great asset to this site. So, "thanks for joining" is certainly appropriate!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.