Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Just picked up

1439 Views 55 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Bowers
My boss was cleaning out his garage and was going to throw these out (set of 4)
He says they suck compared to the radials I have now, but these are more period correct.
Now I just need 4 stock rims so I can switch them out at will..
See less See more
Reactions: 3
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
That's one thing that's great about '50s cars -- the colors. I will also say that my Sierra Gold '58 was shocking when I first bought because I was used to owning black, green, and blue cars but now I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm proud to own a car in a unique factory color. I'm not in a rush to obtain rims either. As long as I have them for the front, for now, I'm good. I have got to replace these tires soon. They're rubbing the A arms and not consistently, so I guess they're bulging/in the process of failing.
Just did a google search, white, black, gray, silver account for 78.6% of new car colors, pretty bland..
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Just did a google search, white, black, gray, silver account for 78.6% of new car colors, pretty bland..
View attachment 397706
What a bland parking lot. Can't beat the colors from the '50s! Be proud of that Coronado Yellow!
What a bland parking lot. Can't beat the colors from the '50s! Be proud of that Coronado Yellow!
The last one I tried to buy was dusk pearl, my family all teased me that it was pink, they are glad I didn’t get it.
The last one I tried to buy was dusk pearl, my family all teased me that it was pink, they are glad I didn’t get it.
They think Dusk Pearl is pink... they should check out Canyon Coral. That's one of my top colors I want for a '57 Bel Air. :love:
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Dusk Pearl is one of my favorite colors, saw it on a sports sedan and a coupe, with the chrome it stood out like a sore thumb
They think Dusk Pearl is pink... they should check out Canyon Coral. That's one of my top colors I want for a '57 Bel Air. :love: View attachment 397719
Talk about a 50's color, car companies today wouldn't have the bells to make a car this color.
No trailer, but I was going to stay away from the highway with these, I'll use them for the close car shows etc. If I do any "real" driving I'll put the radials back on. From what my boss has told me these are not that old (code on the tire is CYH6 C14510), so 13 years old? with less than 200 miles on them. I've driven on worse.
Why risk your classic on old (likely deteriorating) tires for a few bucks. Buy a new set from Cocker, they’re worth the $, your classic sure is 😎
  • Helpful
Why risk your classic on old (likely deteriorating) tires for a few bucks. Buy a new set from Cocker, they’re worth the $, your classic sure is 😎
I do appreciate everyone's concern for my safety, but here's the deal, the car shows I want these for are 1.3 miles from my house, all roads leading to said car shows are posted 25 MPH, if all tires blow out at once, on a curve, I don't think it would make the news, nor do I think I will be instantly killed, I will post pictures if this happens (from the grave no less), have you checked the price on new white wall tires? $900, so I can take some pictures and attend a really close car show? not gonna happen. And really, I own and drive motorcycles, in a state with no-helmet laws, I used to race a supercharged Miata, the street truck I traded for this Bel Air ran 12 sec in the quarter mile, I drove a 69 beetle as a daily driver, in Philadelphia, I now drive a 31 Ford as my go-to beater, some 13 year old white walls mounted on a 140 HP 1957 Chevy would not be the most daring thing I've done. Heck this thing has a better chance of killing me.
See less See more
25 mph for 1.3 miles is a risk I'd take, too.
25 mph for 1.3 miles is a risk I'd take, too.
AAAA, it's actually 2.6 round trip, so double the danger!
I do appreciate everyone's concern for my safety, but here's the deal, the car shows I want these for are 1.3 miles from my house, all roads leading to said car shows are posted 25 MPH, if all tires blow out at once, on a curve, I don't think it would make the news, nor do I think I will be instantly killed, I will post pictures if this happens (from the grave no less), have you checked the price on new white wall tires? $900, so I can take some pictures and attend a really close car show? not gonna happen. And really, I own and drive motorcycles, in a state with no-helmet laws, I used to race a supercharged Miata, the street truck I traded for this Bel Air ran 12 sec in the quarter mile, I drove a 69 beetle as a daily driver, in Philadelphia, I now drive a 31 Ford as my go-to beater, some 13 year old white walls mounted on a 140 HP 1957 Chevy would not be the most daring thing I've done. Heck this thing has a better chance of killing me.
View attachment 397958
I recommend to make an informed and educated decision. We here run the gamut from "must regard safety 100%" to "ah.. whatever". I'm somewhere in the middle. To be 100% safe, we would never enter an automobile again. I'm certainly not going to install 3 point seatbelts in my classics, even though I'm aware of the risk, nor am I going to do disk brakes and all that other stuff some think you need to have to drive these cars "safely". And I'm going to mount radial tires on original wheel rims. If the tires pass a visual inspection, I myself would probably use when I was younger for the purpose you stated. My family only purchased and installed used tires when I was a kid in the '80s and here I am - still alive. I chose to purchase a brand-new set of radials because I want to drive with no restrictions. But I don't forget the days of when I was doing things on a budget and making things work to get by.

Oh, and how do you get up on a bike that high? And is that the only brake - the one on the small rear wheel?
See less See more
I recommend to make an informed and educated decision. We here run the gamut from "must regard safety 100%" to "ah.. whatever". I'm somewhere in the middle. To be 100% safe, we would never enter an automobile again. I'm certainly not going to install 3 point seatbelts in my classics, even though I'm aware of the risk, nor am I going to do disk brakes and all that other stuff some think you need to have to drive these cars "safely". And I'm going to mount radial tires on original wheel rims. If the tires pass a visual inspection, I myself would probably use when I was younger for the purpose you stated. My family only purchased and installed used tires when I was a kid in the '80s and here I am - still alive. I chose to purchase a brand-new set of radials because I want to drive with no restrictions. But I don't forget the days of when I was doing things on a budget and making things work to get by.

Oh, and how do you get up on a bike that high? And is that the only brake - the one on the small rear wheel?
There's a peg (see pic) and yea this is a "safe" penny farthing, the front crank freewheels, on the originals they were fixed, so to slow down you applied some back pedaling, this would of course lead to taking a header and cracking your skull. So on this one it's just the back wheel that has a standard hand brake setup..
See less See more
There's a peg (see pic) and yea this is a "safe" penny farthing, the front crank freewheels, on the originals they were fixed, so to slow down you applied some back pedaling, this would of course lead to taking a header and cracking your skull. So on this one it's just the back wheel that has a standard hand brake setup..
View attachment 397962
Like on any bike and applying the front brake only too hard... Been there; done that. Found this set of used radial tires: www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/923295675932317/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks and looks like a '57 rim (the silver one) on the way to/from getting those tires. www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/810342510796015/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner That being said - I believe all '57-'61 Chevy wheel rims have the same dimensions and the nubs for the wheel covers, therefore, they can be used interchangeably. Unless you absolutely have to have correct '57 wheels (which have no slots), I have a complete set of very nice '59-'61 wheels and Remington bias ply tires that will hopefully become available soon, contingent upon when I can complete my set of correct '58 wheels. The issues with the tires is that the front are rubbing the upper A arms. One tire has a slight groove worn-in and the other has a fairly deep groove worn-in. The spare won't hold air for long. Schrader valve?
See less See more
Like on any bike and applying the front brake only too hard... Been there; done that. Found this set of used radial tires: www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/923295675932317/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks and looks like a '57 rim (the silver one) on the way to/from getting those tires. www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/810342510796015/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner That being said - I believe all '57-'61 Chevy wheel rims have the same dimensions and the nubs for the wheel covers, therefore, they can be used interchangeably. Unless you absolutely have to have correct '57 wheels (which have no slots), I have a complete set of very nice '59-'61 wheels and Remington bias ply tires that will hopefully become available soon, contingent upon when I can complete my set of correct '58 wheels. The issues with the tires is that the front are rubbing the upper A arms. One tire has a slight groove worn-in and the other has a fairly deep groove worn-in. The spare won't hold air for long. Schrader valve? View attachment 397969 View attachment 397970
The tires look nice, but used and the bead has some wear, and who knows the age, I might be back to 13+ year old tires anyway, the second add is no longer avail. I have a swap meet this weekend and if I don't find some rims I might contact the Delaware guy and see if the price is negotiable. Off topic the center of gravity on a penny farthing is very close to falling forward already, so any little weight shift (pot hole, rut, braking on the front wheel) and you go over, the real problem is your legs are trapped under the handle bars so you can't brace with them, so it's head first on the pavement. Hence why we all ride "safety bikes" now.
As for your Schrader valve issue, I find a squirt bottle with some dish soap is the best way to find air leaks.
The tires look nice, but used and the bead has some wear, and who knows the age, I might be back to 13+ year old tires anyway, the second add is no longer avail. I have a swap meet this weekend and if I don't find some rims I might contact the Delaware guy and see if the price is negotiable. Off topic the center of gravity on a penny farthing is very close to falling forward already, so any little weight shift (pot hole, rut, braking on the front wheel) and you go over, the real problem is your legs are trapped under the handle bars so you can't brace with them, so it's head first on the pavement. Hence why we all ride "safety bikes" now.
As for your Schrader valve issue, I find a squirt bottle with some dish soap is the best way to find air leaks.
So that's what those bikes are called -- "penny farthing". Keep your eyes open. Correct '57 wheels seem to be common. And if you wait a few months, I'll have my wheel/tire set available (hopefully; if I can find two more '58 wheels) a bit up the road from you in Quakertown. '59-'61 wheels, which are basically '57 wheels with slots.
So that's what those bikes are called -- "penny farthing". Keep your eyes open. Correct '57 wheels seem to be common. And if you wait a few months, I'll have my wheel/tire set available (hopefully; if I can find two more '58 wheels) a bit up the road from you in Quakertown. '59-'61 wheels, which are basically '57 wheels with slots.
Yea sure, I'm up in Quakertown quite a bit so wouldn't be too far. Yea, I don't mind the slots since the hubcaps cover them anyway. And at the time they were called "ordinary bicycles", it boiled down to chain and sprocket technology wasn't there yet so to obtain higher gearing (and higher speed) they just made the wheels bigger and bigger. But they were dangerous as hell, so once light weight strong chains came out you could gear it to suit.
See less See more
41 - 56 of 56 Posts