Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
big harv

Have 55 - slight bend in frame on right side. Frame man cannot find specs - afraid to match to left side in case it is bent also. Need specs. Can anyone help????:D

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks papa mike. I have searched all over with no luck. The car was at the alingnment shop for a week. It can now go back thanks to you!This car was found in a barn , spotted by the UPS man. First thing I did was to put a kill switch in , insulate, and put in a wiring harness. This 55 will be for my wife as I have a 39 and 34 on the road. What can you tell me about the best power steering unit?:)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Thanks papa mike. I have searched all over with no luck. The car was at the alingnment shop for a week. It can now go back thanks to you!This car was found in a barn , spotted by the UPS man. First thing I did was to put a kill switch in , insulate, and put in a wiring harness. This 55 will be for my wife as I have a 39 and 34 on the road. What can you tell me about the best power steering unit?:)
I don't have any experience with power steeringmyself but several of the guys here have converted using the 605, 670, and rack an pinion, so its just a matter of getting the facts about each and making a decision. Sorry I couldn't be more help but mine's all original and unrestored. Keep checking I'm sure some of the guys will answer you.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I Just installed a Power Rack/Pinion on the wife's 55 .I purchased the kit from DFBrakes......If you'd like to discuss it,feel free to PM me.I have driven cars with the 605 Box,though a huge improvement over stock steering,my opinion is that it's pretty outdated technology and I opted for the R/P.Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Bib Harv,
Check out the Maval (unisteer) R&P system. Very highly rated. Flaming river just released their R&P for our cars. DFBrakes, Classic Performance Products (CPP) and all of the other restoration parts suppliers have complete kits.

I plan on installing the Maval product. After corresponding with them countless times....I'm sold. Their Rack is a new unit, not rebuilt, engineered specifically for our Tri Five's. They claim "no bump steer" even on severely lowered vehicles. They offer two intermediate shaft systems. One for factory exhaust vehicles (one piece intermediate shaft) and a two piece shaft system with a support bearing for header clearance. To top it all off........they offer everything polished or chromed with stainless steel braided hoses. Or you can order just the pieces you need. It all comes with a lifetime warranty and.......a BIG price tag to match! Check them all out.......someone has the Rack and pinion system you're looking for! Happy Hunting!!!

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
55fazzi

thanks for the answers. Checked catalogs for options , seems there are lots of choices. Wanted something tried and true. Some you have to change upper -A's, cut this and that, drill extra holes , etc. Surely there is a power unit that can bolt in and get up to date performance. Got two leads but want someone who is having results now. This will be the first of many changes and trying not to spend a ton of money.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hey Big Harv,
I just had dinner with some fellow Tri Fiver's. One guy brought his '57 Nomad to show us the progress. He told me he used the "Jim Meyers Racing" complete front end kit. The entire kit retails for $2,700. Expensive I know!!!! The kit includes Upper and lower tubular control arms complete with bushings, ball joints, upper and lower cross shaft's, New GM 11" rotors, calipers and pads, stock or 2" lowering spindles, coil-over shocks and complete rack and pinion. The only thing you need to buy is the power steering pump, hoses and intermediate shaft. This kit also REDUCES the track width 1" from stock.

The Meyers system claims to be a complete "bolt-on!" Per my friend...it IS a "bolt-on!.

In my case, wanting the Maval rack system, the Meyer kit is cheaper overall to purchase than buying the individual pieces from different suppliers. This however............will be hard to sell to my wife???? Good luck!

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
big_harv

55fazzi Thanks for the feed back! Haven't researched Jim Meyers, but I did with CPP. It seems like a good set up, with 500 steerinng box,front disc brakes and power brake booster...they also have pre-bent brake lines.Will let you know which I'll use after St. Nick gets through with my wallet. When I get fimilar with this site I'll put a picture of our new ride. Right now, I'm re-doing the dash, wiring, and gauges.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You're welcome Big Harv!
After talking to, riding in his Nomad and looking at the Meyers kit, I WANT IT!!I plan on installing tubular control arms in the future. This kit is complete with all the aftermarket goodies I want.

IF I can't afford the Meyers kit.....I plan on purchasing the Maval unit. "Ron Francis" and "Painless" make awesome wiring harnesses for our rides! Check 'em out. Good luck! Happy Holidays!!!

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.