Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
55 Hardtop package tray. Mine is old, discolored....warped... Anyone pros/cons on distributors? Looks like they retail for $30+- but ship oversized and that jacks up the price 2X.

Car will be garaged. I'm assuming the warpage is due to heat/age/humidity and not being garaged over many years.

Thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What thickness MDF? I made one 15 years ago for a 1st Gen Camaro, but totally forgot what I used. I think it was 1/8 panel board. It was white on one side, brown on the other. Almost like Luan, that was coated on one side with a vinyl veneer.... I was able to paint it black with 3 or 4 coats of paint, laying it on wet enough not to have the "over spray" effect on the dry paint part...

·
Registered
950 Posts
The stuff I used was 1/8' MDF. For the paint I had some outdoor house paint custom tinted the same colour as the seat vinyl, sprayed it on with a cheapy gun and it turned out really nice. It still looks like the day I put it in.

You should be able to assemble all the bits for less than the price of a bought one plus shipping, the quality will be better than the cardboard ones I've seen offered.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,856 Posts
mine came from ciadellas and it looks great installed in 2015 still looks good today.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The stuff I used was 1/8' MDF. For the paint I had some outdoor house paint custom tinted the same colour as the seat vinyl, sprayed it on with a cheapy gun and it turned out really nice. It still looks like the day I put it in.

You should be able to assemble all the bits for less than the price of a bought one plus shipping, the quality will be better than the cardboard ones I've seen offered.
Do this ^^^^
I also did this and it's a one day project.
Cost less the $30.00 total.
Todd

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,292 Posts
Are all three years the same if they are all hardtops? I think I found the answer, all two door hardtops are the same.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
54,655 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes about $35, used 3M spray adhesive and a vinyl type of fabric. My car is done up like a period 60's hotrod so this look works for me, was not looking for pure stock as none of the interior is stock at this point anyway. Before/After pictures. Thanks - Chris

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting
Vehicle Hood Automotive design Wood Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I've always just run over to Lowes or Home Depot and bought some 1/8" hardboard of some kind. Trace out the old one on it, and cut it out. Then go to the local Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's and get black vinyl and spray glue the board, and the vinyl and stick it on. Trim the excess and it's done.
By the way, if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby their price is half of JoAnn's Fabric price. Hobby Lobby was under $8 a running yard, and JoAnn's was $16 a yd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts