Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the wheels and tires on my '62 corvette. I was using original type 15" steel wheels with American Classic radial white walls. I went back to using Avon CR6 ZZ 15" Avons with AR Torque Thrust mags. This are very soft tires with great traction. Great in the rear but terrible for the front. Very difficult to steer because the traction wouldn't allow good "Memory" steering. That is they required constant steering to keep it in a straight line because of the traction.
I decided to change the fronts to Yokohama 205/70 R 15's, T rated. Means they're rated for 120MPG. The Avon CR6 ZZ are rated at 149MPH.
I had the tires aligned with special attention to the camber. The return memory is a lot better now and I can actually let go of the steering wheel and the memory keeps the car going in a staright line. I still need to do a little bit of steering after making a turn to get the tire memory back in a straight line. I will loosen the adjustment bolt another half turn. I now have an extra set of Avon's for the rear.
Bob

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Bob , the Sateen Silver with the grey torque thrusts gives the car the ultimate look . A quick story about Silver 62's....Ok I just turned 18....my brother was 5 years older and all his friends had the coolest cars . One had a Silver 62 with the coves painted Honduras Maroon , not correct but it looked good. 8" Ansens and 4" up front with the ole school trick of blocks between the frame for front height.High horse 327 4 speed with of course Hurst shifter. He came to our house and offered the car to me for $1850 . I was excited and ran in to tell Mom who was washing dishes . Like a lil excited kid I was tugging on her arm to come look at the car .....she looked outside and sad it looked "nice", how much does he want for it? ....I replied $1850. She asked how much I had saved ....I said $950....she replied "I guess you can't get it then". Disappointed I guess it was the best thing as being a bit young with that car I probably would have been killed , drum brakes , high horsepower and 6 beers at 18 on Friday night ? Lost a couple buddies that way. Hey , its always a pleasure to see your posts about your cool cars. Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless.

·
Premium Member
2,052 Posts
That's a great combination on your car I had two different 66 corvettes around 69 with those same wheels one of them was a silver grey car.I don't remember the tires think they a 70 series goodyear but I'm not sure of that.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Are the new front tires narrower tread than what you took off? I've found the wider the front tires are, the more the car wants to wander or follow ruts in the road. Skinnier tires seem to not be affected as much.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob , the Sateen Silver with the grey torque thrusts gives the car the ultimate look . A quick story about Silver 62's....Ok I just turned 18....my brother was 5 years older and all his friends had the coolest cars . One had a Silver 62 with the coves painted Honduras Maroon , not correct but it looked good. 8" Ansens and 4" up front with the ole school trick of blocks between the frame for front height.High horse 327 4 speed with of course Hurst shifter. He came to our house and offered the car to me for $1850 . I was excited and ran in to tell Mom who was washing dishes . Like a lil excited kid I was tugging on her arm to come look at the car .....she looked outside and sad it looked "nice", how much does he want for it? ....I replied $1850. She asked how much I had saved ....I said $950....she replied "I guess you can't get it then". Disappointed I guess it was the best thing as being a bit young with that car I probably would have been killed , drum brakes , high horsepower and 6 beers at 18 on Friday night ? Lost a couple buddies that way. Hey , its always a pleasure to see your posts about your cool cars. Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless.
Great story, and yes the coved sides on a 62 were not painted. Maybe your Mom knew that and thought you shouldn't have a 'vette that wasn't correct.:cool:
I was fifteen and this senior in high who was joining the service upon graduation offered me his cool all original '29 Model A for 50 bucks. I told my dad it would give me something to do during the summer. He told me, don't worry, I've got plenty for you to do this summer. He passed down his '49 Chevy to me and two years later he bought a new '59 Impala which I got to drive to school. After high school I was on my own and had to settle for a '52 Buick
Are the new front tires narrower tread than what you took off? I've found the wider the front tires are, the more the car wants to wander or follow ruts in the road. Skinnier tires seem to not be affected as much.
The Yokohamas are narrower a little bit, and not as soft as the Avons. I do have narrower American Classics I use sometimes, and they are much better to steer than the wider, softer Avons.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,310 Posts
you want more caster to make it track and return to straight not more camber .

Reactions: Postman57

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you want more caster to make it track and return to straight not more camber .
Yeah, I've read Positive is good, but how much positive is too much and how much is not enough?
I'm attaching the results from yesterday. It steers straight but needs a little help in returning to straight after a turn.

Font Gas Auto part Automotive exterior Signage

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I’d speculate the car not returning to center is lack of camber. Might be a better way to address it than using less capable tires.
That said, I’m very interested in how the Avons work for you; they are the only 15” performance tires available at any price, but the only people I’ve known to use them did so on very light cars (Cobras, et al) that see very little road use. They are my sole hope of not having to go 17s on my build!

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
you have very little positive caster. You want as much as you can get, on the stock vette front end you would be luck to get 2 degrees. you can also shim the front crossmember at the frame joint to get a little more.

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
I’d speculate the car not returning to center is lack of camber. Might be a better way to address it than using less capable tires.
That said, I’m very interested in how the Avons work for you; they are the only 15” performance tires available at any price, but the only people I’ve known to use them did so on very light cars (Cobras, et al) that see very little road use. They are my sole hope of not having to go 17s on my build!
caster causes return to center not camber

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I liked the tread design that looks old school bias ply, even though they are radials. I have a torqui 327 (390 lbs ft) and have no trouble squealing regular radials. but I do have to gun it to make the Avons break. Good street slick and good for 5000-7000 miles.

Tire White Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tread
Automotive tire Tread Rim Tire Font

1 - 16 of 16 Posts