Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new here, but I thought I would post some pics of my project and get some feedback. I've owned the car for about 7 years and have just been working on it for the last year or so. So far I have built the motor and just about finished the frame work.
So far plans are for a good ol 427 and turbo 400. Fenderwell headers, Chrome reverse wheels and lots of Candy Red. I built a frame table in my garage for the frame work. Here are some pics after I set ride height.

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
Both the motor and car look cool.
Looks like you're going to have the same rear tire change problem I have. I have to jack my car 4 feet in the air, and then fight to get my rear rims off. It's actually even worse and more involved than that.

Anyway, I like your car already. Hop you post pics as you go.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tire changes will no doubt stink. I am in the process of narrowing the frame rail 1 1/2 inches and fabricating spring pockets. Here's a few pics so far.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
these are just pics of moving the frame over. Tires are 30x13.50 MT ET streets on 15x10 wheel.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That is one bad 55, the wheels look good and the frame work is impressive.. Any details on the engine and drive train ? Keep the updates coming.. :tu

·
Registered
67,745 Posts
doing good ken, cool project. :tu

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the compliments! car has been in the works since I was about 10! The motor is a 30 over 427. Splayed 4 bolt. Eagle crank and rods +250 length. JE pistons (11:1). AFR CNC ported 315cc heads with Jesel shaft setup. Cam is custom Isky solid roller 720 lift and 272 duration at .050. Also, a custom Holly 950. Definitely a little radical for street driving, but that's what makes it fun. Trans is a Hugh's turbo 400 with a 4500 stall 8 in converter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a few pics of the spring pockets. I had to fab these up because I am using Calvert split mono springs and Cal Trac bars. The Calvert springs are wider than stock so standard spring kits wont work.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for the compliments! car has been in the works since I was about 10! The motor is a 30 over 427. Splayed 4 bolt. Eagle crank and rods +250 length. JE pistons (11:1). AFR CNC ported 315cc heads with Jesel shaft setup. Cam is custom Isky solid roller 720 lift and 272 duration at .050. Also, a custom Holly 950. Definitely a little radical for street driving, but that's what makes it fun. Trans is a Hugh's turbo 400 with a 4500 stall 8 in converter.
I like your engine plans almost like mine but I'm going with a 496 and crane cam, same heads, compression and transmission.. I was going with split mono leafs but I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to use them.. Very cool build you have going.. :tu

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought about more cubic inches but a 427 just seems to fit with what I am trying to do with this car. I had a 540 in a 69 Camaro that ran really well. I have a brother that is building a 55 HT right now and he is using a 440 SBC so I can't go too much bigger than him or he'll whine about getting beat :) Here's some pics of his project. Art Morrison chassis with an all Aluminum Dart 440 Small Block and Tremec 5 speed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Which Caltrac springs did you use. I've been wanting to do the same thing with camaro springs but wasn't sure how it would turn out. Anymore pics?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I like the direction your going with the car. Looks like you know your stuff, so there's no doubt that it will be one wicked 55 when its done. Good job!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you call Calvert and talk with Travis he can build the spring for your application. I went with the softest rear spring which should give an inch or so drop over stock. I did have to send my springs back though. The studs for the rear end pads were 5/16 forward to make the wheel base a little short. Probably nit picking, but that's why I went to the trouble of building a frame table. Anyway Travis fixed the spring for me free of charge. Can't say enough positive about those guys. I will try to post some more pics of the frame. Is there anything specific you are wanting to see? There has been a lot of engineering put into this.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts