Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to a TH400 trans. needing a vacuum line, does it also need a kickdown switch?? Is there a difference on the front yoke between a truck 400 and car 400 trans.? Does the yoke on the truck trans. get bolted to the rear output shaft?? Can the truck 400 be used in a car application. Many thanx, Carmine.

·
Administrator
66,693 Posts
The later model auto transmissions like the turbo 350/400 use a vacum line thats connected to a modulator mounted on the pass side of the transmission.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
In addition to a TH400 trans. needing a vacuum line, does it also need a kickdown switch?? Is there a difference on the front yoke between a truck 400 and car 400 trans.? Does the yoke on the truck trans. get bolted to the rear output shaft?? Can the truck 400 be used in a car application. Many thanx, Carmine.
The T400 does have an electric kickdown switch. It can be pedal or carburetor mounted. The long wheel base truck/suburban, having 2-piece shafts, have the fixed bolt-in transmission yoke. Unlike a car where the spline slip joint is located at the transmission output shaft, the LWB truck spline slip joint is provided at the bearing at the center of the shaft.

·
Premium Member
16,010 Posts
Carmine, You can use the truck TH400 but not the bolt on yoke. You need a passenger car slip yoke and you will be OK. The truck (3/4 ton and larger) TH400's usually have a deeper pan and a heavier duty case. The switch is something you don't "have" to have but is recommended for optimum performance and probably easier to hook up at the carb.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yep... Passenger side front near pan has vacuum line for up shift... Driver side to rear of pan you'll see a single lead solenoid that wants 12 v to tell it to down shift. Switches are available on summit to rig your carb for it if needed

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the responses. As you can read in another thread, I'm looking for a TH350 or 400 trans. There is a junkyard real close to me and they have 2 TH400 trans. that came out of I believe pickup trucks. They both have a yoke bolted to the rear output shaft and I wasn't familiar with that. It's good to know that they will work in my car if I get the passenger car front driveshaft yoke. They want $300.00 each and are suppose to be good transmissions. They also come with the converter. Still undecided at this point. Thanx again, Carmine.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
9,039 Posts
To use with a regular driveshaft you will need a yoke like this guy sells.
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p69...sion_slip_yoke_1310_series_32_spline_wth.html

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
I had 68 Chevelle I once, that put a TH400 in that started life as a stick car. I put the kick down switch on a toggle switch on the shifter. You could then cruise down the street and shift to low with the switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts