Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 57 was originally a six standard shift and a V8 auto was installed by a previous owner using the top shift lever of the manual shift column to shift the transmission. This means no Park detent, no shift indicator, no park neutral switch, ETC....

I'm ready to replace the manual shift column with an 57 PG auto shift column. So I ordered a repair kit for it and waited for it's arrival before Taking apart the auto shift column.

The kit has 2 felt "collars" and the column that I am installing does not have these felt "collars" in it, also there's no apparent bushing at the bottom end of the shift tube.

One felt with a small ID hole has a tin top hat cup that it fits into -- looks like it's for the top end of the shift tube.The other appears to be for the bottom end of the shift tube. Is that correct?

Do they get lubricated? If so is it just oil?

Also the assembly drawing R.P.O. 302/313 SHEET 9.00 calls for lubriplate -- will white grease work as well?

Thanks for any help with this.

Bill

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
The kit has 2 felt "collars" and the column that I am installing does not have these felt "collars" in it, also there's no apparent bushing at the bottom end of the shift tube.

One felt with a small ID hole has a tin top hat cup that it fits into -- looks like it's for the top end of the shift tube.The other appears to be for the bottom end of the shift tube. Is that correct?

Do they get lubricated? If so is it just oil?

Also the assembly drawing R.P.O. 302/313 SHEET 9.00 calls for lubriplate -- will white grease work as well?
Bill
The top end of the shift tube goes into the shift colar K in the drawing and slides up and down and rotates, so make sure it's free and lubriplated.
Both felt washers go at the bottom of the column. One goes around the shift tube above the lower shift lever to prevent outside air/dirt from coming up the column from the slot for the lever. It's installed from the top of the shift tube. The other goes around the steering shaft below the column as in A-A in the drawing, to keep dirt/air from going up the shift tube around the shaft. There appears to be 2 felt washers in drawing A-A, but the one above the steering box is actually the steering box greese seal.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The top end of the shift tube goes into the shift colar K in the drawing and slides up and down and rotates, so make sure it's free and lubriplated.
Both felt washers go at the bottom of the column. One goes around the shift tube above the lower shift lever to prevent outside air/dirt from coming up the column from the slot for the lever. It's installed from the top of the shift tube. The other goes around the steering shaft below the column as in A-A in the drawing, to keep dirt/air from going up the shift tube around the shaft. There appears to be 2 felt washers in drawing A-A, but the one above the steering box is actually the steering box greese seal.
Thanks arcadon, that explains a lot. I was pretty sure about the large felt washer, not the smaller one.

Also there are two flat washers -- one looks like it is to keep the felt washer from riding up the column. The other has a tab on it -- don't see where that might go.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure about the washer with a tab, unless it's used on the standard shift column, maybe A or B. .....http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/7-4.gif
It's not the one with the bent tab "G" that adjusts end play of the shift colar? ???
No, the tab is straight out. The outside diameter is 1.832 inches, the inside diameter is 1.359 inches and the tab is .325 wide and extends out .340 from the insude diameter.

Could this be a spacer between the shift levers on a standard shift column and is put in to make this a universal kit??

Bill
________

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,747 Posts

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking the washer with tab, might be item Q on this 56 illustration:http://www.trifive.com/garage/55 Chevy Assembly Manual/7-3-02.gif Not used on 57....Only 55/56.
O.K. Thanks again acardon.

I guess that it is meant for a standard shift column. On drawing R.P.O. 302/313 SHEET 9.00 there is a washer type part (Item G) with a bent tab that goes where Item Q is on the drawing that you show. On my drawing item G is held in place with a screw through a slot in the outer tube.

I'd send you a copy of my drawing but it's too large to attach.

Again many thanks -- you've helped me a lot.http://www.trifive.com/forums/images/smilies/congrats.gif

Bill

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking the washer with tab, might be item Q on this 56 illustration:http://www.trifive.com/garage/55 Chevy Assembly Manual/7-3-02.gif Not used on 57....Only 55/56.
O.K. Thanks.

I guess that it is meant for a standard shift column. (Mine is a 57 that I'm replacing an original manual shift column with a 57 auto shift column) On drawing R.P.O. 302/313 SHEET 9.00 there is a washer type part (Item G) with a bent tab that goes where Item Q is on the drawing that you show. On my drawing item G is held in place with a screw through a slot in the outer tube.

I'd send you a copy of my drawing but it's too large to attach.

Again thanks --

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts