Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know for a fact we have a ton of Kiwi brothers here on this site. They had a pretty bad quake down there today (7.2 or maybe 7.4) You guys have been in my thoughts every since I heard that news. Hope all and there families are faring well....

Roland

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin Trifive Leaders Club
6,152 Posts
I know for a fact we have a ton of Kiwi brothers here on this site. They had a pretty bad quake down there today (7.2 or maybe 7.4) You guys have been in my thoughts every since I heard that news. Hope all and there families are faring well....

Roland
Thanks Roland for thinking of us...
and Steve for the PM
Cannot speak for those actually living in or near Christchurch (Gordon and rjmelville ) ((i think !))
spring to mind.
But I can tell you that only 2 people so far have been reported as seriously injured and apart from quite a bit of building damage we got out of it very lightly
compared with the likes of Haiti.
I live 600 km south but have been talking to my aunty who lives in Christchurch,
they are a bit shaken up(excuse the pun) but OK !

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Hang On!!

Good to hear Chris. Saw some video on the news tonight, a lot of property damage in the older sections 20 miles from Christchurch. Take care during the aftershocks. We're all thinking of you! :)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Chris, I too was thinking about you and the other members in N.Z. when I heard of the earthquake on the news. Glad to hear that you are OK.

·
Registered
571 Posts

Roland
cheers and thanks for your thoughts, we got family up there and are ok, :tu

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
We live about 550km North, my wife said something woke her at 0430hrs but she did not realise what it was until we got up and saw the News channels coverage. Very shocking and I feel real sorry for the familys whose homes are destroyed and also to make things worse, a storm is forecast.

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Being from California, where we have had a few earthquakes, we were worried about you guys when we heard too. Hope all are OK.

Don

·
Registered
11,220 Posts

Roland
We are praying all in the affected area are ok. A pic from CNN

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Old Mother Earth can really get our attention when she is so inclined. Glad you guys are alright.

·
Registered
1956 Nomad RHD, mofified, 1955 Nomad RHD,restored 1957 Nomad RHD, still in progress
1,506 Posts
Here in Victoria we have had years of drought. Now we have had the wettest winter for about 15 years, and over the past few days heavy rain and strong winds across the whole of the state. Just about every river is flooded, and some areas that got hit by last year's fires have now been flooded.

Just heard from some Kiwi friends from Christchurch that they are Ok, but lots of properties will be bulldozed.

Now for the good news - our rain and winds are now crossing the Tasman so batten down the hatches!:eek: Mother nature at work again.

Des

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I heard a report that the shingle formation under this land mass is around 400 metres deep (1/4 mile) and that during the earthquake and the aftershocks, the shingle turned into a sort of wet concrete like substance, even flooding some areas. Gas Station tanks popping up from the ground etc.
The US offered help out of Hawaii but the Govt turned it down, said they had things under control, so big thanks anyway.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
After shocks are still plenty, and just before Hawkes Bay was hit with a 5.2 so Mother Earth is easing into place again it seems.
Here is a thread from the NZ hot Rod Forum which gives a bit of background to the disaster from a Hot Rodding point of view, and how it has affected those forum members.
I was really impressed to see the University students getting stuck in with shovels to lead a hand.
http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5747&page=1&pp=10

1 - 19 of 19 Posts