Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We made our annual trip to Deadwood again this year. In the now 5 years we've attended this one was the best...and worst. There were over 2,000 cars estimated by event staff in attendance this year.

There was a tragic accident involving a '57 Chevrolet BelAir this year resulting in 3 deaths. I heard about it from the people who witnessed it happen early Friday morning. The people who witnessed it were from a Wyoming club traveling in a Group. They had stopped in NewCastle, WY for gas and as they were getting ready to leave a '57 Chevy BelAir pulled in for gas. It was driven by two women, estimated in their mid-late 30's. The group exchanged pleasantries and by their account it was a very pristine '57 w/BB.

They said goodbye to the two gals, left the service station and continued the drive into Deadwood. About 10 miles south of Deadwood the highway straightens out for a couple miles and they said this '57 Chevy crossed the double line flew past them like they were standing still. They were driving just under the speed limit of 65mph. About a 1/4 mile ahead of them the car got back into the right lane swerved to the right, over corrected then crossed the median and hit an oncoming Acura head on...killed all three instantly. One of the group called the police and reported the accident and when they got up on the wreck they knew there were no survivors. One of the guys who was a retired Wy highway patrol officer said the '57 was folded back on itself the engine was in the front seat and the passengers were mangled into the sheet metal. The Acura faired about the same. He also said it was one of the worst accidents he had seen during his career.

Also a couple in a '30 A sedan hit a herd of deer coming down Spearfish canyon after Fridays Rod Run...really mangled the frontend of the car but fortunately the couple weren't injured. We saw the car on a trailer in the parking lot of a motel later in the day and it was a mess.

And we blew our power steering pump out on the way up Thursday about 40mi west of NewCastle...of course no one had one in stock...steering by 'armstrong' for the rest of the trip:sign0020:

Here's some pictures, mostly tri-fives...
We were approached by the owner of this place on Thursday at check-in and were asked if we'd allow our car to be used in a photo shoot along with his '55 Gasser Friday afternoon. They had a pro photographer and we were told they would send me some prints. I took these...

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More...

Gasser--this one has frontspring pockets and wagon springs, 4'' lift all around

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and some more...

I thought the owner of this '57was going to polish the paint off as much as he was polishing it all weekend

The owner of this car has had it since '65 in h.s. underhood artwork was done in '66 by his h.s. girlfriend

My friends Mike's '55 gasser and Ron's '55 gasser, couldn't get a side shot of Mike's
348 tri-power

BB

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and a few more...

This was a full custom '55...yes it is a '55 with '56 rear quarters grafted in. Over $100,000 invested. Calfskin glove leather interior, LS7 and so many custom touches that you have to see it in person. It was this years Grand show car, it won numerous awards for the build....it was awesome and pictures don't do it justice.

this is the underside of the hood--no cross bracing

·
Premium Member
13,595 Posts
Gary, your crash story about tore the breath outa me. Kinda makes you think some about making the wrong decision...it only takes a second.

You guys got some NICE cars up there!
Dan

·
Premium Member
13,595 Posts
Oh yeah, your buddy's W motor looks really cool. I have to ask though, did he drive it there with them open headers!!

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
I'm glad you posted pics. We were just there the week up to it but left on Friday. I seen alot of rods driving toward it. I was bummed that the #10 saloon (Wild Bill was killed there) is not in its original location. The original spot is for sale.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
5,341 Posts
Good looking group of cars. ( my fav is the Caballero of course. Soon as I win the lottery I'll buy one ! )

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Nice trifives... Thanks for sharing... Later, Dave

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
enjoyed the pics, thanks. :tu

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah, your buddy's W motor looks really cool. I have to ask though, did he drive it there with them open headers!!
Naw they trialered both cars up there. They were both finished the week before the event, still have a few bugs to work out...plus the exhaust systems aren't finished. They did drive them around during the event though...both sound awesome.

The young guy that owns the B/W Gasser , well he and his wife drove it from Sheridan,WY with open headers...it was LOUD!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts