Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All (PROSTREET) Has anyone put lambo hinges on a trifive or is that not a cool thing to do to a Tri-5. I cant thank everyone enough for the info I have found learned and just somewere to come and see whats new on the site everyday. :)

·
Administrator
49,350 Posts
Can`t say as i have ever seen a tri-five with the lambo doors that i can remember and i`d probably remember that. And it`s all in personal taste but i wouldn`t have them on my 57. I like the tri-five squeak. haha.
Terry

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is nothing like the feeling of opening and closing a tri-five door, but if you do get pictures post them up...Not someting I would ever do but would be interesting to see.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Wanabe
I myself have never done lambo's but it's like anything else after the first door the next door is a breeze. I would think if you could find one to look at that dose full size trucks you may be able to incorporate them into your TriFive. Keep in mind the weight and over all size when you are looking you would want the heaviest they offer. Hinging a door from scratch is a chore and takes a bit of foresight . You have how the door execute the jam and were the axises pin is located the make the door clear the fender with no interruptions. With Lambo's your first action is is out beyond the door and fender jam and the it pivots or rotates upward.
There is lots of geometry to consider but all do-able. Now this is most likely going to be a one off so setting jigs won't be necessary, unless you plan on trying to market them. :D

1,544 Posts
Hi Steve: I have a question for you, you stated his project would be a "one off" I have heard this on the overhaulin show also but it doesn't make sense to me, one off what? maybe "one of" a kind. Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me.
Bob

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Bob
I'm going to assume you were not clear on the term (one off) If not I apologize. The term one off as you already figured is yes one of a kind build. If not one off than you will be building more than one of the same product Identical to its counter part.
In a majority of cases when you do build one off you don't take the time to build dedicated jigs which will make each and every part after that Identical and ease of building.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may be answering some of my own questions but I went to Air Ride Professionals web site and they have a pics page on installing Lambo hinges. It looks like I would have to realy cut into the cowl firewall area infront of the doors. I know it could be done but I better stick to getting the car done before my wife takes me to the cemetary in it. But if anyone has seen one let me know after the 2 door wagon is done I am going all out on my 4 door wagon maybe suicide lambo doors dragging the ground and my dads straight 8 out of his old buick.

Thanks guys

1,544 Posts
one off

Hi Bob
I'm going to assume you were not clear on the term (one off) If not I apologize. The term one off as you already figured is yes one of a kind build. If not one off than you will be building more than one of the same product Identical to its counter part.
In a majority of cases when you do build one off you don't take the time to build dedicated jigs which will make each and every part after that Identical and ease of building.
Thanks Steve, I guess I'm just old enough to remember when people said what they meant, now a days everything needs an explaination to understand what is being said, I understand what you are saying but it still makes little sense, one off the norm, one off the rack, one off the top of my head or ONE OF A KIND?
but thanks for the explaination.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't do it! I'm from the world of Imports mainly and Lambo doors are now to the point that they are made fun of when seen, and on an old car I think they would look really dumb. And your doors are so heavy they will really put a strain on the shocks. Most imports actually have to have the inner fenders cut out for the doors to clear. It's just not something that is cool to see anymore, maybe two years ago.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK the 2 door wagon will have the squeaks and I will get the car done before I am to old to drive it but as far as the 4 door wagon I would like to go way outside the box (MY THOUGHTS)low farout front wheel drive northstar havin suicide doors OR 4 GULLWING DOOR pimp my ride way out car. As far as thoughts go my dad didnt call me sunny because I am bright.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
42 Posts
whether it's cool or not is up to you...

At least he isn't asking about DeLorean doors :D

I don't get the obsession with doors... But whatever. 12 year old boys always ask how the doors open on the 'tus, then act all disappointed when they reallize they open in the conventional way :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
no... it must be that fog-air in England that causes the doors to go squeaky, Mark. :D I have 4 doors between two cars, and none of them squeak :p Apparently I'm alone though... come to california. The doors don't squeal... but other things do ;)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Mine don't squeak, checked everything out today, doors, hood, trunk, no squeaks. Lubed all the transmission, clutch, and carb./throttle linkage. I crawled around under checking for hidden rust, oil leaks etc. I am going to need to replace most of the rubber bushing, body mounts etc., 52 years have taken its toll on them.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I actually love the sounds the car makes! Doors, trunk; the clang of the hood! It all adds up to a symphony of sound and a joy to hear!

Or am I finally going mad?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I loved Jags and the old Brit iron before, but a mate took me to the Good Friday Meet of the Surrey Street Rodders and I looked at a '55 and chatted to the guy for over an hour, by the time I left him the sound of the doors closing and the boot (sorry TRUNK!) just was music. Then he STARTED THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!

SOLD!!

That was many years ago. It never left me and when I got mine over and got in for the first time it was lke re-visiting my first girlfriend!:eek:

Sorry, I'm off for a lie down!;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts