Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I moved to this small town 20 years ago a guy that ran a garage from the 1930's to about the late 60's had an acreage just outside of town that had right around 200-300 cars parked there. He accumulated them through the years as wrecks and just given to him by people who want to get rid of a non running car. The newest one there was a 1966 Impala 2DHT. He also would not sell anything out of the place to anyone. He often sat out there with a shotgun to keep vandals away. He let me go out there once and walk around, but would not sell me anything. About five years passed and he died. His only heir, son, hired a portable crusher as soon as he died to crush them all. The acreage was near a creek and partially flooded at times. He (son) told me he was afraid that once the property passed to him the DNR would make him clean it all up, including taking the soil down so far to get rid of where oil leaked over the years. This guy was even a car guy. He let me in to get a few things and sold some other parts and even whole cars - that people found out about by word of mouth. The crusher was out there for more than a week. I remember the first car crushed was a 1957 4 door chevy in pretty good condition. The front clip was about perfect. I often thought that if he would have had an auction, he would have made tons of $$$$$. But, he didn't care as he had tons of money already. All he wanted was those cars gone and nobody was going to tell him any different. (The apple didn't fall far from the tree) That was about 15 years ago. The Lambrecht auction reminded me of this treasure in this little town that was crushed and hauled away. By the way, the son died about five years after they were crushed.

·
Premium Member
7,459 Posts
Wadda ya think?

The current owners of the good In Tension race cae should have taken it to the auction. Probably could have gotten their orginal asking asking price.

Ha ha ha

·
Administrator
63,452 Posts
Some people just have a mind set that nothing will change their mind, sad in so many ways as there are car parts that would be of use to a lot of guys in need of them.

·
Registered
65,818 Posts
thanks for the story. :tu

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
In a small town just east of me is another case of cars parked since the 50's and some of them are quite collectible. Owner intends to fix them all up someday. I guess there are 75 cars. He is an odd duck but they are his cars and he has the right to do as he wishes. He must be in his mid 70's by now.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
A somewhat similar story, a guy about a hour up the road from me has a fenced in lot with a block building and has about 50 tri fives, all are restorable but about 10 of them are in really good shape. His collection includes a 56 and a 57 Nomad,a 57 sedan delivery, and a 57 convertible. The guy seems to do great bodywork but never finishes anything. In fact, the convertible and the delivery bodies have already been painted Matador red and have been inside the building on rotisseries for years. The guy claims he has turned down $30k for the convertible and everything that goes with it. The fellow also lives in a home built tree house on his property and has electricity but no running water. Within the past year he got an inheritance and he claims once that is settled, he's gonna shut the gate to his fence and cut ties with the rest of the world. I cant help but think there will be an auction there one day.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
All kinds of people in this world...some sane...some insane. Or upset with the world and have become anti-social to all human beings. It's a sad bunch of stories of people who can't connect with others and reach out for a friendly hand...history needs to be saved, as when it's gone, it's gone. :shakehands::gba:bowtie-trifive

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
All kinds of people in this world...some sane...some insane. Or upset with the world and have become anti-social to all human beings. It's a sad bunch of stories of people who can't connect with others and reach out for a friendly hand...history needs to be saved, as when it's gone, it's gone. :shakehands::gba:bowtie-trifive
Good point but with the increasing lack of interest from the "Younger Generation" and us "OLD GUYS" just getting older who possess the passion to keep it going I say get the best car that you can afford or wait.Unless you have deep pockets and are ready for the rocky road ahead to an even drive-able restoration keep searching and leave the emotion behind.We dont know the skills or finances of said purchasers, but with the amount of fish in the sea a better foundation gets you closer to your dream car.The originality of most of those cars are gone once a restoration is complete unless you just put them in a museum untouched.JMO.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Good point but with the increasing lack of interest from the "Younger Generation" and us "OLD GUYS" just getting older who possess the passion to keep it going I say get the best car that you can afford or wait.Unless you have deep pockets and are ready for the rocky road ahead to an even drive-able restoration keep searching and leave the emotion behind.We dont know the skills or finances of said purchasers, but with the amount of fish in the sea a better foundation gets you closer to your dream car.The originality of most of those cars are gone once a restoration is complete unless you just put them in a museum untouched.JMO.
Sorry wrong thread.You see perfect example of short term memory loss.(All joking aside, I am under treatment now and waiting on results before we choose my coarse of action and the meds. sometimes can interfere.) I thought it was this thread I was responding to.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112473

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
I never posted on this thread when it was current. Im one of those hoarders. I do sell stuff mostly on Facebook Marketplace. Now that I draw Social Security My hobby is to buy bargains that I can quickly resell and leave room for the next guy to make money also. Just Yesterday A Friend who lives in Florida called me asking about the 55 wagon. I was able to tell him that just last week my Grandsons and I got it running and went out on the highway out frond and did a bunch of smokey burnouts. They really like that car. The smaller boy when the monthly REA magazine arrives he goes directly to the Harbor Freight tool advertizment page.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
It's the same with airplanes.
I have contacted the owners of a few airplanes that have not moved in years.
The owners get mad that I even ask if they want to sell their "baby".

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
back in 2000. I attended a estate auction. There was a setting and rotting 57 Cessna. Bullett hole thru the windshield tires flat. Back in the early sixties the Beatles had stayed at that ranch and flew there as passengers in that plane. I Started it out at $7500.oo Thinking I would buy it. I was badly mistaken. Itquickly went to $90,000.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts